Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so some of you know about my three rats, Melody,Sassy and Bell.
Melody and Sassy died...Both of them were pregnant (Dont know the cause death yet. The animal autopsy people havent notified me yet of the cause).

Now Bell.. who had her litter of 14 pups...has 2 tumors. One near her rear end and one on her neck area behind her left ear. She seems very weak and im taking her to the vet today at 15.25pm to be sent to the rainbow bridge. The tumors have grown significally these past 3 days, and my vet friend told me that it would be the best for her to be sent in the rattie heaven. Which I think is best for her also.

The thing is tho, will the babies be ok without the mother? they are currently 3 weeks and 6 days old .
Should I add something special for them to eat?
They do eat the rattie food and fresh foods I put for them and the mother, they also drink the water, but.. they also hang on the mums titties(sorry if im not allowed to say titties ><).

meh first I lose melody and sasse, now I will lose Bell, and propably piippana aswell(She is blind and most probably deaft(sp?) since she ignores me completely, and didnt know who I was today and bit me :[ )
Ahwell the babies are ok atleast, and rest of my ratties . Just hope everything will go well from now on :<

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
at one day short of four weeks, your babies should be ok. my neighbours babies were weened by four weeks, and then we separated the boys from the girls. if you are worried about them still needing milk of some sort, i believe kitten milk from the supermarket is a pretty good substitute. but if they are eating normal food and drinking water, they will be fine.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Nenn, I rescued my two last babies from snake food at just 3 weeks of age. They are fine and I was told to just offer a little more protein up to about 10 weeks of age. At 3 weeks they wanted nothing to do with formula and only wanted the food and water I offered and have been fine ever since. Just some more reassurance for you that your babies should be just fine. I am sorry to hear about their mommy and her friends :( but they will be at peace together in the rainbow bridge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.