Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mouse,,his name,,, seemed off on Mon 15,,,took to sleeping on his upper deck,,not unusual...Jun 16 he was still there, he came out for his couch run and hanging out.Jun 17 he was off,,,before he always ralied and became his old self,,,,not today,,,he did come and play,,,but he was soilng himself...saw the vet day..uri,,got mess,,got shot of cortisone,,,came home,,he jumped around the couch,,then napped,,at or about 5 my son noticed that Mouse was at cage door,,,my son scooped up and sat down on couch,,Mouse was bruxing,,getting chin rubs,,,nuggies,,,snuggled in my son's arm,,then he was gone,,,I feel just awful for not jumping, on the 15,,,not being more so the next day by time time I acted it may have seeled Mouse fate,,,he was just 14,months,,,I feel like a real ****,, lost him Jun 18,,RIP Mouse,,,,rally sorry if I screwed up

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
All rats and humans have off days, it's normal and for the most part we get over them without help from a vet or a doctor. Mostly a cold is just a cold, a virus seems pretty severe but passes in a day or two. Well and for the most part experience says there's no harm in waiting a little while before going to the doctor or the emergency room. Every now and then we get caught flat footed... the headache turns out to be west Nile virus. I got broadsided by this one myself, and it got really ugly really fast. But mostly a headache is just a headache so we wait for it to pass, which is generally the right thing to do.

You most likely made the call that seemed reasonable and appropriate at the time, and there's no evidence that anything else you did would have saved Mouse, so don't beat yourself up. And yes, obviously, I survived the west Nile virus at home... by the time I could get to a phone and call for help, the worst of it had passed.

I am however very sorry for your loss.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts