Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, it's a rat, we call them mousies as a joke. Our girl Nova (1 yr +/-) has a couple of sore spots on her tail. They are red, and she squeaks and pulls away when they are touched.

They are my daughter's rats, so I'm trying to help her out. She had been lazy about cleaning the cage, and from what I have read, they might be urine sores. The cage is now cleaned, with fresh fill, and the mousie has been gently bathed. There is no crusting, broken skin, or any sort of oozing. Sorry I haven't got a picture, the spots don't show up in a photograph, our only camera is pretty awful.

We're keeping an eye on her, but I would love a second opinion.

Thanks!

Amethyst

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Better already... thankfully she didn't have to suffer too​ much for my daughter to discover that regular cage-cleaning is necessary!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I only saw your post now. Tea Tree cream is always handy to have around for sores. Your daughter can also wipe their tales down twice a week with baby wipes. Very safe to use. The bath would have also soothed the tail. Glad she's all better.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Fragrance free baby wipes are best for cleans. Luckily rats are fairly resilient to mistakes on our parts. I am glad the rat is better now. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts