Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to several rather unexpected circumstances my boyfriend and I have had to move within a short window of time. Not only does the new apartment have new smells, but it also has wood flooring which is new to both of the rats. As some of you may remember from previous posts, I have two boys Bane and Loki. Bane has always seemed to be unconfident and tightly wound. Loki is the opposite, he's ever curious, mischievous...and has some seriously crazy energy levels (lol!). Anyways, the move effected Bane in the way I thought it would. Over the past few days he's been more tense, jumpy upon touch (even when he sees you coming), seemingly stressed, and has tried to start numerous fights with Loki. Surprisingly Loki has really shined, since the move he has been much more interactive with my boyfriend and I. He'll race around trying to start up a game of chase, and sit and groom us for upwards of ten minutes on our laps. Just in general he has suddenly become quite noticeably less aloof and more loving and even cuddly. I mean his happiness is pretty much tangible. And despite Bane being insecure and challenging him, he's all of ignored him.

Basically, how can I make Bane more confident in this new environment?
Also, why do you suppose Loki has had such a change of heart with his increase in "lovey dovey" affection, and all around happiness? Just out of curiosity! My theory is that since we've followed him through the move, he now sees us (his humans) as "real" members of his mischief. Is that possible?

Thanks for any insight as always!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't want to start a new thread and since this is very much related I'll just add it on to this one. So the relationship between Bane and Loki has gotten so much worse since the move. Bane is very much wanting to be dominant, but isn't confident enough to secure the position (from what I've observed). He's started to claim their hammocks and igloos as "his" and will guard the entrances. He gets in a boxing stance whenever he is near Loki, regardless of what Loki is doing. He refuses to submit when Loki inevitably gets fed up and tries to flip and power groom him. This leads to Bane trying to run away, Loki chasing him and huffing up. I'm also certain this is related to moving. But in any case it's looking increasingly more dangerous to me. I've called a couple vets in my area to get neuter quotes, which the couple places that will do a neuter are asking $200-250, which is doable but I would like to exhaust all other attempts to encourage them to get along first. So I guess, is there anything I can do naturally to get back their previous harmonious relationship? Or is a neuter the smartest choice?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
No insight on the previous question but the second, you could try small space intros (carrier intros). You could also try to become more involved in their relationship so there isn't a rat in charge so much.

How old are they?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They're both around 10 months old. Which is why I'm kind of confused because they've been together since around 2 months of age and have previously been very close friends. I sometimes can snap him out of it when I see him getting tense, but not always. I'm hoping that with time things will get more settled in their new environment, unless that wasn't the instigating factor. But I will look into the carrier intro!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
That's a bit old for hormonal issues. I would definitely try behavioral fixes before neutering.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.