Rat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my mom and my dad are seperated and my brother and I each have a rat (they're almost two months old <3) and we go to our dad's on tuesday's and wednessday's and everyother weekend. Of course, we want to have our rats with us at all times, but our parent's are bothered by constantly moving the cage around. I was wondering if it would be to traumatic for the rats to have one cage at mom's and another at dad's? And we would just carry them to and from and have one cage at each house. Would that work or not for the rats?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I heard that you shouldn't constantly be moving them. Like it stresses them out and stuff, however, I take my rats with me to petsmart, back and forth to my boyfriends house, and they've even gone to reno with me. I think it depends on the rat, because mine have never been scared and are always excited when I get their travel cage out, they jump right in and are just excellent traveler =) However, maybe my rats are just weird lol, nywho that's been my experience with moving them around and taking them to different places, doesn't bother them a bit. And besides the way I see it, they'll probably get used to it, they'll probably figure out the scent of their two cages and what not, but I'm not expert =)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'd worry about losing them in the car on the trip between the two.

How long is the trip? Could you get them a small travel cage? I doubt either parent wants to hunt the rats out from under the seats or worry about them getting underfoot.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I would think that would be fine. They would eventually adapt well to the moving. They might be weird at first but I would think they would be intellegent enough to adapt. Especially if you give them lots of treats after each ride so they associate rides with good things.

Be sure with traveling to always have plenty of water and perhaps even a cooler or ice handy in case the car breaks down so you can keep them cool even when the air conditioning fails. (when it is hot anyway) If it's cold, be sure to keep plenty of blankets on hand and perhaps even get an emergancy blanket in case the car breaks down.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think it would be fine especially if you have a carrying cage which are pretty cheap at Petco. They have the all plastic one's with ventilation up top (which I hate) and the one's like what I have that are wire with a plastic base, I got the biggest one and it's pink, and i love it, it is SUCH a help =) You can see a picture of it, if you go to Meet My Rat and then look at the post The Girlies, it's in a couple of those pictures =)

·
Registered
483 Posts
It doesn't seem to bother my sisters rats riding in the car--- They came from California for the summer with her--- and they slept most of the way during the day--- and she took them into hotel rooms at night. Motel 8 or Days Inn will take pets. She is leaving soon and I will miss them terribly until we get mine.

·
Registered
627 Posts
My parents are divorced aswell, and we spend two weeks at each parent before we switch. They only live like 5min or so away from each other so I often just walk with the rats while the cage gets driven up in the car. It seems to be working very well, no stressing out or anything. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have moved house 7 times in the last 2 years and my rats have never been too bothered. Infact I think they enjoy bounding around new rooms and meeting new people. I think cause rats very intelligent they thrive on change more than other animals might.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well I don't know if this counts but my rats cage moves every night...into the closet which is a few feet away. :D

Anywho's I think it really depends on the rat. If they are the calm type that settles in easily I wouldn't worry to much.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I've never tried moving them backwards and forwards, but we took ours on holiday with us to the beach. We let them play in a small dog carrier a couple of times, first, before we used it to transport them. They travelled very well... I was extremely proud of them! We set up their cage at the condo for the week and they settled in straight away, and again when we got back home.

They don't do so well, however, when they are left with other people when we go overseas. Our eldest always sulks for a couple of days after we get back.

I think it depends on your rats. I would just watch them very carefully in the beginning. I would expect that they would adjust to it and be ok with it, but do watch them for any signs of stress.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts