Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that since my eepers just got thier peach fuzz, they have these tiny TINY little brownish thing on them that almost look like fleas, but not. What are they and how can I get rid of them?

Edit: The mother doesn't have these, just the babies.

·
Registered
798 Posts
The mother more than likely DOES have them they're just harder to see, and that would explain why the babies have them, they're more than likely lice, and they like fleas can cause enemia so I would consult a veterinarian asap.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Treatment would not be safe at this age, either on the babies or mom. Your best bet is to consult your vet to see what he/she says.

·
Registered
730 Posts
You may have to wait until they're old enough to be weaned (4-5 weeks). I'm assuming that, because it's the same thing for young puppies/kittens.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Nope. Unfortunatly they'll just have to live with the tag alongs until they're old enough for treatment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
****. Poor things.

Totally just a thought. I remember awhile ago seeing that Dawn kills parasites, would it be the same with rats? I know not to use sprays and stuff like that.

Also, would batheing help at all?

·
Registered
995 Posts
You could pick them off by hand....

·
Registered
995 Posts
Picking them off by hand and then having more come back LATER is alot better then just leaving them be.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Sooo? Whatya going to do?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I suppose all I can do right now is pluck 'em until they're weaned.

Jeez, I feel like I'm back in Texas plucking the fleas off the cats. LOL

·
Registered
995 Posts
Lol Well as soon as they'er old enough you can stop "plucking" and start using meds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I figure once I start using the meds I'll scald everything in the cages with hot water and whatnot, but how easily do these little annoyances come back?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Call the vet. Some medicine might be safe and be able to be gotten from mom's milk. Just call the vet for advice on what to do.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I think picking them off of atleast the babies would cause a bit of relief, Are there A LOT? or just a few? I would just call an emergency vet hot line just to see if there is anything you could do at home until vet care is possible... I'd definately ask questions about enemia..

·
Registered
995 Posts
Soooo.... How are things going?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts