Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor little old lady was hospitalized last night. :cry: For a couple weeks she's had a bad smell coming from her mouth and she hasn't been eating her lab blocks. She brings the blocks to her little wooden home but won't eat them. When I came home last night she was sneezing a bit and twitching her head every couple minutes.

I called my vet and they said they couldn't see her till next week, so I called another, and another, and finaly was directed to Tufts Small Animal Hospital. I brought her in, and after poking at her for a bit, they said they couldn't treat her there and told me to take her to MSPCA Angell in Boston. I drove her straight there and they admited her.

They gave her fluids and liquid small animal food over night until the vet could look at her today. They just called and said they need to make her sleepy and take x-rays of her head to see what the problem really is. It might be malaclusion, or an abscess, or even a tumor.

This whole situation is so hard because she is my little baby, born and raised in my care. Over the last 3 years I knew that when I had a bad day I could come home to her and get unconditional rattie love. I don't want money to be an issue when it comes to her health, but being a 22 yeard old recent college graduate, I am limited by my funds. So far the estimate is around $600, but if they need to do any surgery it will be much more.

I want her to live a long happy life, but I don't want to be putting her through stressful situations when I know she is an old girl. I'm having trouble weighing the situation. I really did want her to make it to the 3 year mark at the end of this month, but not if she's going to be miserable.

So now...I wait for the vet to call after they look at the x-rays. Until then all i can do is send loving vibes her way. If anyone has thoughts or suggestions on the situations, I would love to hear them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Oh my, I'm so sorry ):

When they are that old, it's really up to you to gauge whether or not it's her time or not. I just would like to remind you that year marks mean nothing to a rat and to put a rat at it's end to more suffering may prolong her life for another month, but will it really be worth it if their quality of life isn't good?

Like I said it's really up to you but it sounds to me like it's probably best to pts if it's not something easily treatable ): She's an old girl and she's not doing well, it makes her a bad candidate for surgery. At least that's how it seems to me from your post, only you know her so only you can tell for sure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got back from picking her up. The vet said that she has laxity on the right side of her jaw with maloccluded incisors. There is nothing they can do but have me give her some nursing care for the rest of her days. They sent us home with an antibiotic (Sulfatrim) and an anti-inflammatory (Meloxicam) and told me to feed her very soft foods like moistened lab blocks, baby food, oatmeal, and soft fruit. It's clear that she is feeling in less pain becuase she was pushing her ball around and trying to eat her carefresh bedding in her carrier on the ride home. I gave her some turkey baby food and she gobbled it right down (she absolutly loves turkey). I guess I know what i'll mix her meds with if she wont take them by seringe. I know that when she starts to lose her quality of life i will bring her to where her mother was euthanized and then i will bury her in the same place. All i can do is let her be the happiest little rattie for the rest of her days and keep her from suffering when the time comes. As long as she is still curious I know she is ok.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts