Rat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from the vets again with bad news. Muffin has recovered from his neuter and is back to his old self, however this weekend I have made a disturbing discovery. He has a fairly large lump in his abdomen. Vet thinks it's something sinister. Tomorrow morning I will be dropping him off at the vets for a needle biopsy and a ultrasound scan to see what we are dealing with. Whatever it is I imagine it's not going to be a good outcome for my little boy. Absolutely devastated.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Such bad news :(

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'm sorry about muffin.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well today went better than I expected. Muffin went to the vet to have his biopsy today and it turned out that the lump was a huge abdominal abscess full of puss. His best chance was surgery so this afternoon the vet operated and removed the abscess. It was real nasty, encapsulated with a thick wall and had to be 'peeled' off his internal organs. He came through the surgery and is now home with me. Not out of the woods yet but he's alert and drinking and ate a yogurt drop which is a good sign. However he's constantly worrying the wound, won't stop licking. I've tried a tubigrib bandage like the vet suggested but he chewed right through it. I wish he would just get some rest!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'm so glad to hear he is doing better.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Luck be with you!

·
Registered
395 Posts
With a surgery like that I'd use an e-collar and give the rat breaks from wearing it while under constant supervision. I made my own e-collars when three of my rats had mass removal surgeries all at the same time. They were made with:

- foamy placemats from the dollar store
- hook and eye closures (aka velcro) from the dollar store

I measured my rats necks to ensure they fit properly and then made multiple small cuts around the neckline to soften the fit. The cuts look like this [iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii] but without the dots on top!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Poor muffin was doing quite well 2 days after his surgery. He stopped fussing with his wound and the vet said it was looking good. But he seems to have taken a turn for the worse. Wont eat or drink, very lethargic. Calling the vet as soon as they open tomorrow. I really want this wee guy to pull through but it feels he's slipping away.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you. Muffin was breathing heavily when I woke this morn. Rushed him to the vet and they've kept him in all day and overnight so that they can monitor him, give him some subcutaneous fluids and manage his pain. They're trying to get him to eat too. All I can do now is wait. :(

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Vets around here would never keep a rat overnight. Lucky things are so different where you are.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They've been pretty amazing. The owner of the practice says that she and most of the staff have kept rats at some point after someone left a box of baby rats and a pregnant mama in a nearby park. There are only two vets practices in the small city I live in and this one was the nearest. I've been extremely lucky that they are so great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts