Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problems: rat-aggressive, blackening top incisor, squeaking fits, sneezing fits, and now has a scratched [?] eye.
I got 4 boys from a breeder [a very good and nice one!] less than a week ago. Everyone is perfectly behaved except this tiny white one. We have a vet visit scheduled for the end of the month because that's as good as I could get it. I messaged the breeder, asking the same things and about what I should do now. I have a feeling that he will want to take him back and trade me a new rat but I don't want this white rat to be culled.
The last straw was when I caught him in the act of attacking one of the others. Even after I got between them the white one kept chasing him. There is still a large slash across the white one's victim and he's still upset this morning. I put the white one with the big boy whom he doesn't [seem to] bother bullying and I'm keeping the double critter nation half and half until I find out what to do.
I'd be willing to go the mile for this boy I love him very much. What should I do? Now and in the long run? Would it be cruel to keep him in his own cage?
r/RATS - New Problematic Rat | Please please help me
See the white speck? It's not debris.
r/RATS - New Problematic Rat | Please please help me
I'm posting this not much time after I just made an appointment to take him in two hours.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Have you gone to the vet yet? If not, definitely get him checked out for those health issues. For his behavior, it might help to neuter him. If neutering doesn't help, you can decide where to go from there.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
How old are these rats? If they're still quite young, neutering probably won't help because the cause of the aggression isn't hormonal. You say the little guy doesn't attack your big older guy. What happens when they're the same size? ...or when the white one is bigger?

If he's a danger to your other rats, I would suggest returning him to the breeder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts