Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so many of you know about Sweet Pea from my post Bleeding in 'hole'

She had her surgery today at 9 and they called at 935 to tell us everything went okay

and I couldn't believe what they told me...what was it an infection, a cyst, a tumor? What could it be?

it was a calcified rat baby that had never been born. How weird I've NEVER heard of that. I know that it can happen to humans but I never expected for that to be it.

Well I guess I was right when I thought she had been bred before.

At least she is okay...and a quick question

she is walking strange and it looks like she's sucking in her belly, is that normal? is it cause she's uncomftorable?

Nikki >.<

·
Registered
393 Posts
Wow, that's pretty wild. The sucking in of the stomach sounds like she's experiencing discomfort/pain. Did they give you pain medication for her after the surgery?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Holy cow, that's really weird! She probably needs some pain meds, possibly a checkup?
You should get that in some kind of rat medical journal, or something, that's too weird...

·
Registered
38 Posts
ok, this is what happened to one of my gerbils. I was not breeding a pet store sold me a gerbil and sexed it wrong but mine died. glad you caught yours in time. I have seen a picture of a little wiggle/stretch that rats do when in pain is she stretching striaght out?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah they gave her a pain shot and they said it would last 24 hours. When I woke up this morning to give her antibiotics and she wasn't doing it anymore.

I 'saved' her from petco she wasn't a planned by I just fell in love with her. Someone had left her in a box at the pet store. I figured she had been bred before because of her metabolism and she's very wide in the leg area lol.

I've had her about a year so it had been in her at least that long.

I don't know how common this is. But my teacher said that they had a dog that did that...and her daughter heard of a guinea pig that had that. But yes this is a 10 on the weird scale.

but she's okay so I'm happy ^-^

Nikki >.<

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and about the pain meds they weren't going to send any home if she looked fine but she looked like she was in a lot of pain...and she was stretching straight out and was walking like she was drunk. I felt bad for her, but she seems fine right now.

She has an appointment in 10 days to get the stitches out

Nikki >.<

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
did they let you keep it?! i would have asked if i could keep it. i have a puppy the size of a large pea in a blood collecting tube somewhere. :D some lady at the clinic i worked at got her puppy e-spayed and the doctor let me keep a puppy. <333

·
Registered
626 Posts
Well i'm just glad she's feeling better! As for the baby thing...weird!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well unfortunately I didn't pick up Sweet Pea, my mom did because I was still at school.

If I did I would've kept it. I really really wanted to see it. ><

I mean come on, it's not everyday your rat has a calcified rat baby inside of her....it would've been a great conversation peice lol

Nikki >.<

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The vet never felt anything...I was feeling one time but it might of been a kidney or something I dunno. I have no clue what rats look like on the inside lol. But the vet didn't feel any lumps or anything so I figured it was just an infection. or a tiny cyst

Nikki
<:3-)~

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oh my!! Ive only ever heard about calcification of babies in humans...NEVER animals...let alone a rat. Too bad you didnt keep it!! Ha thats kinda cool...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts