Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
scout is having very many muscle spasms lately. every time she has one, she starts squeaking loudly. boogie used to have muscle spasms too, but not as much as scout does. :? is this very bad and something i should worry about and take her to the vet for this matter? what causes this? the last thing i want is for scout to get hurt :( .

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's correct

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
hiccups. Should be silent but if there's a slight noise its still "ok". IF there's a loud noise its either scarred lungs or the beginning of a uri, and at her age I would bet on the latter. :(

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, wow i never thought of hiccups. you are probably right, and its gotta be scarred lungs because she had a terrible case of a respritory infection, but she got better, not exactly 100% because she's got a lung scarring. we did take her to the vet when she had a respritory infection and they said she didn't just have respritory but the breathing problems caused lung scarring. you're a genius spaz ;).

·
Registered
486 Posts
I swear I read somewhere that rats don't/can't hiccup :?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I read that some where too. I think it was on Debbie D's site but i can't find it right now.

I know rats can't vomit but i was pretty sure they couldn't hiccup either. I believe it is a breathing issue when they appear to be hiccuping. I will have to find the resources to back that up though.

:Edit: can't find the info LoL ignore me!! But it could be coughing if it is happening persistently rather than once in a while.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its a muscle spasm 'cause my parents said so and thats what it is. is it dandgerous? :(

·
Registered
393 Posts
Are your parents vets or something? Why would they know? I take it your rat is sitting and making jerking motions like hiccups? There are a few speculations on what that is, one being hiccups, another I've heard being communication at a frequency we can't hear, and the third being sneezing jags (this one being Debbie D's explanation). I have my high doubts these are muscle spasms but I can't say for sure since I can't see your rat.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Not trying to be mean or anything, But if your parents _know_ that its muscle spasm, why are you asking here if its dangerous? :)
If they know what it is , they should know wether its dangerous or not.

and again, not trying to be mean, just curious ^^ All the best for your little rattie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts