Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two girls in a SCN. I use Uhaul mats and fleece. The girls are litter box trained and use it for most all poops and even some pee. They stay in this cage Monday through Friday. Over the weekend, they are in another cage and I clean the SCN. I take everything out and wash all the fleece, uhauls and hammocks in hot water with All laundry detergent. I wash the plastic toys and litter pan with warm soapy water. I wipe down the large cage pans with critter wipes or Clorox wipes. I also wipe down the bars and sides of the cage. I use a little baking soda in the litter pan under the litter. In about two days, my cage starts to smell musty. My girls don't smell musty when I take them out to free range. The litter pan smells a little poopy when you bend down close to it but not musty. The overall area just smells musty. You don't even have to be bending down close to the cage. Does anyone have any suggestions for improving the smell or what I am doing wrong? I want people to enjoy visiting my girls but no one wants to smell a smelly cage.Remember to vote for my rats every day...see my signature below.

·
Registered
870 Posts
The only thing I can think of is to dry the Uhaul mats and fleece separately and dry the Uhaul mats a bit longer. The fleece will dry completely faster than the Uhaul mats and they may be holding moisture. At least that is the only thing I can think of that may cause this.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree with raindear maybe your Uhaul mats aren't drying completely inside the layers. Might sound strange sometimes I will hold thick material to my face to see if it's still damp. When it's still warm from drier it's hard to tell by hand (for me ) anyways . Maybe try adding some baking soda & vinegar into the wash let it agitate a little , then let them soak for 1/2 hour . That should get the musty smell out if it's those that are smelling . Actually take a good deep sniff of the mats before you put them in the cage . Hope you find the problem . I remember forgetting a load of clothes in the washer over night - Yuk !!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts