Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saved a feeder baby 2 days ago and he is 3 wks old. He is very sick though with an upper respiratory infection. That night I started him on doxy so he's been on it for 2 days. But he still sounds really sick and he's been sneezing constantly for the last hour. He can't stop. What can I do to help him? I'm afraid I'll lose him cuz he's so small and young. Also should I add amoxicillin to his treatment?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I would use the amoxicillin definitely. Make sure he's warm and gets plenty of wet high calorie and protien foods too. He's probably not been on solids for long and is too young to be away from his mum really

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i agree that he is too young to be away from mom. I have been supplementing a little bit of formula for him as well as oatmeal and baby food. I also give him the solid lab blocks.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Poor little guy. :worried: It sounds like you're doing everything right. One thing you might add which could help, is to put a humidifier near the cage. I don't know where you live, but it's likely winter time and you're running the heat. That really dries out the air so that anyone with respiratory problems, it makes it even harder on them. (humans included) A cool air humidifier will add moisture to the air which will help him breathe better. I know that some on the market now allow you to add Vicks menthol but I don't know how safe that is for rats. (it might be fine- I just don't know) I use just a plain humidifier in my house- I got the kind with the big tank so it lasts a couple days before needing refill.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts