Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have been doing slow introductions with my new younger rats and my two adult boys. Today I felt confident enough to clean the cage and place them together as a group. I watched for 10 minutes and all was fine everyone was exploring and eating. Well when I came home from grocery shopping I found one of my younger rats dead. He had a huge chunk taken out of his butt and his entire head was mangled like no brain or anything. I am so upset I am crying hysterically and I really need someone to explain to me what I did wrong/what could’ve happened. There was no aggression or fighting but I saw one of my adults bullying the other young rat so I separated the young rat from the big boys. I am so freaking heart broken and traumatized from seeing what I can only describe to you as an absolutely horrifying nightmare. Please help me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Oh no.. I'm so sorry for you. That is literally our worst nightmare as rat owners isn't it. I'm not very expert at introductions advice, but I know there are people on this forum who are. Hopefully they will pick up your post and be able to offer you some advice soon, to make sense of things. In the meantime, give the other rats lots of love and reassurance. Maybe they are feeling upset too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh no.. I'm so sorry for you. That is literally our worst nightmare as rat owners isn't it. I'm not very expert at introductions advice, but I know there are people on this forum who are. Hopefully they will pick up your post and be able to offer you some advice soon, to make sense of things. In the meantime, give the other rats lots of love and reassurance. Maybe they are feeling upset too.
My babies brother is so upset. I feel so sick. I’m so so sad. Thanks for your condolences.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Oh god. I am so sorry that you went through that, rest in peace little one. How old are the youngsters? It is possible that they were too small for intros or that the baby got on someone’s nerves & an adult snapped but I’m afraid there’s no way to know for sure what happened.

This isn’t your fault and I’m so sorry that you went through this nightmare of an experience. Please let us know if we can help you at all.

Here’s a semi-recent thread of someone who experienced something similar, I hope it gives you some solstice that these things happen sometimes and it isn’t your fault.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh god. I am so sorry that you went through that, rest in peace little one. How old are the youngsters? It is possible that they were too small for intros or that the baby got on someone’s nerves & an adult snapped but I’m afraid there’s no way to know for sure what happened.

This isn’t your fault and I’m so sorry that you went through this nightmare of an experience. Please let us know if we can help you at all.

Here’s a semi-recent thread of someone who experienced something similar, I hope it gives you some solstice that these things happen sometimes and it isn’t your fault.
The youngesters are almost 3 months old. I am feeling so guilty, I can't even imagine what the poor rat went through. I feel like it is my fault but I know deep down that there's nothing I could have done to anticipate this. I separated the adults from the young ones in fear of them doing it again. It was horrific.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts