Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an est. 1 1/2 year old male who was perfectly fine yesterday, but now he has labored breathing (his whole head bobs up and down when he breathes and is very noisy), He is hunched over, he is having major trouble walking (falls over a lot, he is walking like he is dizzy), major hair loss (his back and legs have almost no hair on them), and he is suddenly very docile (this rat is usually very rambunctious and hyper.) He has lost weight very quickly, (he was a fat rat, and now he is so thin I can feel his bones,) I also found a piece of poop on his butt earlier, and he smells horrible. We don't have any money to take him to a vet, so how can I make him more comfortable if these are his final days? Is there anything I could do for cheap? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Really he needs the vet urgently if he's going to make it, probably a couple of courses of antibiotics and possible steroids too as he could well have pneumonia. You can get meds online in the US, but in the day or two it will take to get them he could be dead (it tends to move fast when left untreated, and often even if treated). Honestly if you cant afford longer term treatment I would look to put to sleep as he sounds in a very bad way.

You could try him on kids ibuprofen or paracetamol suspension in case he's in any pain, but without proper meds he is likely to pass soon.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Make sure he's as comfortable as possible, by holding him, syringe feeding/watering him, and making sure he knows he's loved. The wobbling honestly sounds like it could be a stroke, which there's no cure for, only rehabilitation. This bad sounds like it might be pneumonia (as Isamurat stated).

For cheap, follow Isamurats advice with kids ibuprofen or paracetamol, this should help his pain and maybe even his breathing. Mix it in with some yogurt, baby food, or mushed banana so he can eat it properly. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts