Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sky died this Sat at 7:00Pm the same way Bajha died only alot less violently.

......You know....I didn't shed a tear...but It still tore me apart...2 rats in less than a week...

Is it a virus?? Are my other babys in danger???

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Re: My baby Sky has joined Bajha in the never ending sleep..

Im so sorry :'( You may want to separate them and take them to the vets just in case.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Sky and Bajha were in their own cage but I did put one of my others with Sky so I imediatly put her in a clean cage by herself.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I plan on keeping 2 eyes on them.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

i'm so sorry sky i would really get the remaining ones checked by a vet from what i read in your other post i know how hard it is to loose them so quick and close together. I really hope that it doesn't happen again and i hope you are getting over the suddeness of everything ok

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I can't afford a vet....

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

oh sky :( they really need to go you need to figure something out call the vets and see if they will work with you something needs to be done for them if you can't afford a vet maybe you can borrow some money or maybe ask a local rat rescue for some help but please please please try and figure something out if not your others are going to suffer the same as sky and bajha did and no rat deserves to suffer like that you have to try everything in your power to help them that is the job you took on when you got them for pets i know you are having a toughtime right now (i lost four in a month to something very similar and tried everything in my power) but please try calling all resources please don't just give upon these babies they need help and you being the rat mom need to do all you can for them

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

It sounds like a virus, probably SDA. Your remaining rats need to immediately be put on an aggressive regimen of antibiotics. Since you can't afford a vet (sigh), go on the suggestions that Steph gave you. Once you've exhausted all of those, if you still can't get them to the vet, you're probably just going to end up watching them die.

Rats need veterinary care just like every animal. Not being able to provide them that is cruelty, both legally and ethically.

There is no need to separate the rats - whatever your rats are dying from, they ALL have it by now.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts

sky i'm so sorry for your loss, it's awful to lose anybody, especially two babies in a week. see if you can borrow money or find a rat rescue for your last ratty, just in case. no one wants you to lose your other babies too.

i know that you love your babies and we all know how it feels to want more, but if you can't afford to give them a healthy life AND a peaceful death if it's necessary, you might want to wait to get any more for a while.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Ok I'll call around. Can you help me get a estimate on how much it would be to get my last 4 checked out by a vet. Please.:)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

Depends completely on the vet and the office's normal checkup rates.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

*Shoulders sag*

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

You need to not have rats.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Oh really?

Just because me and my mom are financialy down at the moment shouldn't be THE diciding factor. As soon as my mom gets a stable job and I turn 16 (this Dec.) I WILL be able to take my girls to a vet and as soon as I have the $money$ NOTHING will stop me from taking them to a vet.

My becoming 16 is only in her becuase that's when I can get a job myself.

·
Registered
997 Posts

Night said:
You need to not have rats.
Hey, I really understand how you feel, but it honeslty isn't your place to say something like that. It just ruffles hackles and makes you seem like an ass.

Just sit back and breathe or something. OR...or, if you MUST say something like that just say 'Maybe rats don't fit your lifestly right now' or something along those lines.

I just know people will get bugs up their skirts about it, so, please be more considerate. :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

Sky14 said:
Oh really?

Just because me and my mom are financialy down at the moment shouldn't be THE diciding factor. As soon as my mom gets a stable job and I turn 16 (this Dec.) I WILL be able to take my girls to a vet and as soon as I have the $money$ NOTHING will stop me from taking them to a vet.

My becoming 16 is only in her becuase that's when I can get a job myself.
Yes, really.

Your remaining rats need vet care NOW. Delaying proper vet care is negligence and cruelty. Everyone falls upon hard times financially now and then, but you need to be prepared for that. Save money for your animal's vet care - always keep an emergency fund. You probably could have saved your last two rats, but you didn't take them to the vet.

December is eight months from now. What exactly are you going to do until then?

·
Registered
655 Posts

I gotta say Sky is getting my blood up. I think its good to try to keep things cool or people will disconnect and not come looking for help any more but
-
Sky your rats are suffering and your not doing all you can to help them.

If i was keeping my sick, vulnerable gran at home and not getting her help becasue i wanted to keep her near me you would be horrified.

Ive been looking at health care as you will see from the isurance quote, ive also been in touch with PDSA (for pets who need vets) i think you should search for a similar charity near you. Help is generally only availiable to low income families but it sounds like atthe moment you will qualify. If they refuse you you could try going to your nearest shelter and asking for help, maybe they might take them and you could have them back once you have insurance or a health care fund set up.

Subsidized and Free Veterinary Care
The Mahoney Fund realizes a dream of Jean Mahoney to ensure that all people can have the companionship of a pet regardless of their financial circumstance. Pets In Need provides assistance to low-income individuals for veterinary care, including spaying and neutering for their dogs and cats, on a funds available basis.

http://www.petsinneed.org/Services.html

However, a search of the Internet turned up a number of organizations that provide financial support for veterinary treatment of animals owned by the genuinely needy living in the USA. Two of these organizations also make their support available for owners living in Canada: The American Animal Hospital Association’s Helping Pets Fund, through AAHA accredited practices, and Angels4Animals, on a case-by-case basis (2,3). Both The Farley Foundation and the AAHA Helping Pets Fund limit the annual amount payable to each clinic and each pet and household.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1636588

http://www.aahahelpingpets.org/root/

I know of a pet facing euthanasia or surrender due to financial constraints. How do I connect the owner to your program?
The “Contact Us Page” can be used to provide us with referrals. For an emergency situation, please call the phone number listed.

http://www.angels4animals.org/contactus.html

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Ok will you help me find one in the Santa cruz/Watsonville/Scotts valley areas?

I REALLY suck at finding stuff... it took me 2 weeks to find this forum....

·
Registered
655 Posts

Your anoying me alot sky-i feel like your taking the p*ss but maybe im just paranoid, yes I'll email them

1 - 20 of 86 Posts