Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My boys Atticus and Dewey are my very first rats and we’ve been having some problems lately. Unfortunately I got them from a pet store because I could not find a breeder anywhere near me. They seemed to get along fine at first and cuddled in their hammock and all. Then they started fighting a bit, boxing and jumping on each other and running after each other and such. I thought they were just play fighting or establishing dominance or something, as I didn’t see any injuries.
Sadly, I found some bloody wounds on Atticus’s back a few weeks ago. I’ve been keeping an eye on them and they seem to be slowly healing, but then his ears also began to get bloody. Atticus is the one I’d expect to get hurt out of the two, as he seems to start more fights and be more outgoing and aggressive. I’m assuming they’re still young so this is an attempt to establish hierarchy.
I debated separating them when I first saw the wounds, so I ordered another cage. I would still see them cuddling and sleeping together all the time though. I felt terrible about splitting them, so I thought I’d monitor things but let them stay in one cage. The ear marks showed up just a day or two ago, so I put them in separate cages. I feel so bad about it because I don’t want them to be lonely, but I can’t have them hurting each other. I’m still letting them together during their free range time. Any advice? 😞

1 - 2 of 2 Posts