Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they're brothers, both about five months old. their mother is my friend britt's rat tilly, who must have gotten pregnant while at the pet store. I happened to be sleeping over at her house the night it happened. Imagine how surprised we were when there were 10 little baby rats in the cage (9 male, 1 female) when we woke up haha. anyways, after they grew a little and were able to leave their mom, i adopted two of them. franz is black and white and ezekiel is grey and white.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cage is only temporary, I'm getting a bigger three-level ferret-sized cage sometime within the next three days.

As for bedding I'm using aspen stuff that my mom bought.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Wow, ferret cages are huge! Make sure they can't fit throug the bar spacing!

Aspen is okay, but I really reccomend any kind of recycled paper pulp.

My dad is constantly getting carboard boxes, so I shred them into tiny cubes and use that mixed with CAREfresh bedding.(carefresh can get expensive, which is why I mix it with the cardboard).

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me or anyone else here!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah the bar spacing isn't too big, so it'll work nicely. :)

and thanks for the info on carefresh! i was actually just checking it out earlier today, so i'm going to get some soon.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they're my first personal rats you could say, i used to help with my friend's rats and took care of them a lot when tilly had the litter.

before this i've had hamsters before, but unfortunately they got old and passed away.. :(

·
Registered
997 Posts
Ah, I never quite enjoyed hamsters. Not social enough for me. -shrug-

It's good though, that you've had experience with rats before getting one of your own. That always helps. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts