Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed on my boys tail that he has a couple of red spots on his tail. The spots weren't on it last night, He seems to be eating good--- finishes his bowl, and drinks a lot. I will put the photos here. I don't know how much you can see--- Can we put anything on his tail?

What might this be? and what can I put on it?

·
Registered
261 Posts
how old is he? most ratties have these markings as they grow through the years. my growing girly has these appearances and so did boogie too. this is normal and si definatly nothing to worry about. your pictures of your ratties' tail is not clear enough for me to see, but every rattie should grow these markings as they get older and frailer. i am sure it is not anything particular to worry about.

if his cage is in the bedroom or the same room you are usualy dweling in, have you heard and squeaking or any serious signs of his tail getting caught any where or of any other matters?

good luck and please remember to keep us posted.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It almost looks like he bit himself on the tail-- but its right where the end of the hair is and the beginning of his tail. The markings are just red-- when you touch it he doesn't squeak so I don't think it hurts him. I will have to read it when I am home.

I will keep you updated.

·
Registered
445 Posts
If you can , try taking clearer piccie too:)
Also MAYBE your rat has accidentally scratched himself while grooming :)

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Are they like small pimples?

A couple of mine have what I call 'rat acne' on their tails - which is just red lumps really. I've checked them out by the vet, he doesn't seem concerned unless it causes them pain - which it doesn't

Ironically, the two that are affected are boys also.

Don't know if this helps or not :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Dotty and Roxy (Along with Chili and Pepper - Roxy's brothers) had red marks like that on their tail for awhile - soon after the litter had been split.

Maybe it could be related to stress or just plain rough rat play fighting...?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a rat with spots on his tail many years ago. It was acne; blackheads which had become blocked, just like on a human. I took him to see the vet and she sprayed an anaesthetic onto his tail and then squeezed one of them to see what was in it. They didn't bother him, just came and went from time to time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts