Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is the cage for my dad's house. We're building a playhouse for them but for now this is all we have. Everyone has fantastic cages but for my two girlies I think this is good enough?

and my darlings <3

·
Registered
549 Posts
If I'm identifying the cage correctly its sold as a hamster cage? It looks good enough for them now, but when they grow up its going to be to small, I think. I've only had boys and I know girls are smaller but I don't think their that much smaller. I cant imagine them fitting in that nesting box or on that wheel much longer, that is if they do now.

Another issue, the cage is tall and the bottom doesn't look very weighted, Id be careful about a little girl on the top floor leaning against the bars, it wouldn't take much for her to knock the cage over. In the picture it looks like you still have the wire grate in the bottom? That should be nixed asap. And what bedding are you using?

This is all just my opinion, I'm not an expert and I'm not tryin' to attack you :-D

your rats are cute! how old are they and what are their names?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no it said rat cage :( I thought it would be too small but I wasn't there when it was bought. Okay, I'll take thought off :) Ahh. Alright, I'll have to get a bigger one then. I'm using aspen shavings but thinking of switching to fleee. Can you tell me why I should take off the bottom just so I can know? Hey, you're being perfectly nice, thanks <3
They're almost three months old and their names are Princess Peep and Splinter. Splinter is the black one and Peep is the hooded one. =D

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
The wire grating can be difficult to clean, trapping urine and bacteria, which can cause infections. Not to mention it can't be that comfortable to walk on. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kayy thanks :) How much bigger does it need to be? What if i bought another one and took off the side, and put them together? And put those lovely pebbles in the bottom too make it heavier and then just put lots of bedding overtop? thanks again =D

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
You can use the Cage calculator to determine if a given cage is big enough. Remember to set it into inches

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
A lot of cages that are actually meant for animals like hamsters and mice are also labeled for rats - like people think because mice and rats look similar, they must be a similar size. I see that a lot on ebay and craigslist.

·
Registered
527 Posts
your ratties are adorable~ <3
they're similar in age to my rats, who are also girls. :]
and even your cage is kinda like mine..it seems we both have to get bigger cages soon.
but good cages are kinda hard to find in pet stores..and even on craigslist. oh well, i'll figure something out!
best of luck in cage hunting!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so wait, if I buy another like that and take the side out of each will it be ok? or am I better off buying a completely new one?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Nope, It will not. According to the rat calculator, It can fit one rat. BUT...it says the cage's depth is to small for one rat. So technically its to small to house a rat comfortably. Even if you add another that doesn't change the depth size of the change.

You will either need to build a cage or buy a bigger one. Try to figure out what you can do as soon as possible. You don't want a cage thats to small and I personally think its ALREADY to small for young rats to do what they love, run and tumble around.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
The one you said looks like a jail is exactly like mine but mine is a little bigger :'(.

It doesn't look very jaily with lots of colourful toys and hammocks and wheels and balls and lots of other bits though :)

Love that purple and green one, with the little slide. So cute!

·
Registered
330 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The cage I have is the Coast Cage Ritz Rat Condo. It's a little on the small side, but if you put up enough hammocks, and move the bottom ladder to create another shelf instead, it's okay provided they get lots of out time.

The main reason why I chose it is because I needed mobility in my cage, going to and from school several times a year. You mentioned "at my dad's house," so I thought mobility might be something you want in a cage, too. This is light, pretty easy to clean and decorate (the whole top half just lifts off, but can be clipped down, it's super easy. Though it's no FN, I'm sure), and strudy since it's all one piece. You can't have more than two girls, and you're going to have to be smart about how you decorate, but it works pretty well. And it's not even that expensive, $55 from the website, and they have free shipping.

Also, the wheel is solid now. I was going to take it out, since it's a little inconveniently placed, but now they're using it, so I don't regret the wheel too much.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
aw thanks everyone
yah true captain but we're getting two otherwise yah thanks <3 aww that cage looks so good simbakitten! such a good price too but i live in canada. <3

we're thinking of building one instead haa. <3

1 - 20 of 23 Posts