Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taken on the challenge of building my own cage for my three wittle ratties that should be here in august. I used a pvc frame and 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth. It is **** on the hands, though. I am 90% done with it. It is 5' tall and 3' wide and can hold up to eight rats. Heres some pics.

Now I think my only problem will be finding a clear tub large, and cheap, enough. Comment all youd like and I'll post more as I progress!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I already had the pvc, so I'd say the overall cost would be... $40 give or take a few

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, the opening for the door is just cut out in those pics, I have yet to put it in. xD

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's more progress! I am 99% finished! I do have a questiont though. Will harware cloth be strong enough to make a ramp? If not, what should I use? AND I would like to cover the wire with something, what should I use? I really dont know what to use and would like input on anything, thanks! Heres the pics!

Hres the door shut without the level

Door open with the level

The space to get to the second floor.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Looks good! Dont forget to cover the wire floors, not just with towels, but maybe with a plastic flooring or mat. Using unfished/uncovered wire like that will rust really bad if its pee/poo on. Thats one of the reasons why I havent put levels in my cage just yet, only Tons and Tons of hammocks, lmao. Good job so far though!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I would put two more half levels, on on the top and one on bottom. There is a lot of unused space you can utilise there.

As far as the hardware cloth, it won't be stable enough on it's own but it might be alright if you attach it to the floor and keep it tight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I adapted a cage once, well I wired on cage on top of another an cut a hole through, the edge the hole I cut in between edges I got some of thos long plastic clip things that will hold a pile of paper together like a book, cut them to size, clipped them onto the cut edges and glued in place, just a suggestion. Just in case i didn't describe what I'm talking about well here's what I mean by the paper clip things:

http://www.caboodle.co.uk/NETCatProductPage.process?RestartFlow=t&SingleRes=t&Catalog_Id=101&Product_Id=175152&Merchant_Id=1

you can get them way cheaper than that though

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys! I've already adde a half level, and I might add another, I was going to use linoleum, but plastic place mats sound way better!

·
Registered
443 Posts
What a neat idea...I would have never thought of the pvc pipes! Can't wait to see the finished cage. :wink:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would probably powder coat the wire. Normal metal without being coated by PVC or powder coating will most likely be corroded by the ammonia in the rats urine.

Other than that, I love the cage design!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
hardware cloth is strong enough for a ramp, it gives a little as they run on it if it's a little longer, but i think that's probably more comfortable on their feet anyway. i put an extra layer of plastic canvas over the hardware cloth to provide firmer footing, and fleece over that. but overall, looks neat!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts