Rat Forum banner

My cage setup. (Any ideas on how to improve it?)

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  crapola 
#1 ·
This is Rem and Leaf's home. It's pretty browing right now, but here it is.

Okay! Starting from the bottom up,
Bottom: Litter box, igloo, water bottle and a rock.
1st Shelf: Food dishes, veggie basket a wooden chew and a twistly slide.
2nd Shelf: Wooden house, a ball, random cardboard tubes and a tunnel thingy.
3rd Shelf: Coke box, bird puzzle (they love it!) and a ramp.

There are two hammocks in the cage, but they still have yet to begin using them.
The first is above the igloo and the second is hanging in front of the top shelf.
The cage is sitting on a bunch of giant lego things that I store the bedding and litter in after I've frozen it. The food is usually sitting on the wooden drawers beside the cage.

I've got some fleece that I am going to line the shelves with, but I am still figuring out a good way to attach it. I've tried those binder clip things, but it's hard to get them to stay on. (Maybe I should try a different size ><)

See less See more
#3 ·
Maybe try making some double hammocks, with a "canopy." My girls refused hammocks until I made some of these, and now they're perfectly fine with whatever. Adds some color, too, which is always fun for the color-visioned humans!

Use dryer tubes, a lot of members have had good success with those and they're fun for the ratties. PVC pipes usually get a lot of mileage, too.

Are you interested in buying a wheel? Wodent wheels are usually used by most rats, though mine personally are at 50/50 right now... one's a wheel fiend and one I've never seen on it.

#4 ·
Wow, I don't think it looks boring at all. I actually have the same cage (also covered in hardware cloth, lol) and it's not nearly as cool. I think you even have your levels arranged differently. That's one thing I like a lot about the cage, btw; that you can switch the levels around. Have to warn you, I'll be showing the pic to my b/f and I'm sure we'll be stealing some of your ideas. :wink:

#6 ·
my girls took months to even think about liking hammocks, so i ended up getting some planter baskets and hanging them in the cage. these they love!! i was given some wonderful hammocks for christmas, and because they open in the middle and not on the sides, the girls will condescend to sleep in them occasionally. i didnt have the same problems with the boys though... they'll sleep on/in anything.

you really dont need to cover the shelves with anything, as long as you keep them clean and wipe up any pee that you see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.