Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dad said i was unable to have any more rats after pooky and winkie go to the bridge :( but then i thought "hmmm maybe i can get two more rats after pooky and winkie go to the bridge if i find a rat that will prevent less dander then others kinda like hybrid cats and poodles."
i have'nt had any luck looking online for rats that have less dander instead it came up with rat allergies. so i was wondering if anyone knew of any rats that produce less dander then others.
I also started thinking that maybe rex rats would produce less but i am not sure.
please and thank you for helping me!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
In allergies it's actually more the urine then the dander. Happens this way with feline allergies too (not sure about canine). So no, there isn't a rat that doesn't urinate sadly enough.

Do you have males or females? Maybe getting them spayed or neutered would help slow down their marking which could help lessen allergies. Also have you tried allergy shots?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have two female rats. thank you!

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I thought for cats it was the saliva in the air?

But yeah its usually the urine or the bedding most people are allergic to. Some are more allergic to males as well.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
you could get a double rex (hairless) switch to fleece bedding and change it out often, there will be no dustmake sure they are litter trained so you can clean the box often, im sorry about that :C

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I have the same problem with my Dad - he has a terrible wheezy cough and blames my rats for it as 'he only coughs when in their room'. What he doesn't think about is that he smokes 30 cigarettes a day for the last 40 years! I've told him that skin reactions are FAR more common than respiritory reactions to rats, but he won't believe that either. o_O

(Plus, I hear him coughing all over the house, espcially when he's smoking. mHmmm!)

I'm of the opinion that until he stops his smoking and PROVES that it's my rats causing the problem - he can lump it. :D

Thought I'd share - pointless really

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
hairless rats produce dander as well

dander is not just created by hair... it is also tiny flakes of skin

dander: Small scales from animal skins or hair or bird feathers that can cause allergic reactions in some people

Aside from this, I agree... it is most likely the smell of urine that is causing the reaction. Often people change the bedding they use or clean the cage more frequently (& in some cases, reduce the number of rats they have) & the symptoms lessen or go away completely.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i am going to clean the cage twice a week then to see if it helps. thank you everyone!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
what kind of bedding are you using & what are you feeding them?

I've learned that if the protein they are getting is derived from animal protein it can cause the ammonia smell to but much more intense

1 - 9 of 9 Posts