Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Awesome! Lots of fun hidey places and climbing stuff. How many rats do you have in there? And what is that metallic thing on the top shelf???

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've got 2 girls in here, and it's a coffee tin zip ty'd on, when I took the plastic off the cardboard was silver.. idk they dont chew it either way :p

·
Registered
604 Posts
Aww. Spoiled girlies. I'm trying to come up with new ideas for my boys because they don't like hammocks or being high up at all really. They are ground dwellers so I think they'd really enjoy something like that!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do they just not like hammocks at all? I would suggest a plastic bucket or a basket maybe if they wanted something more sturdy

·
Registered
908 Posts
Be careful with your wooden house... I had two of those and LOVED them.. Unfortunately my rats loved them too... Loved to pee on them that is. I ended up having to throw them out because they got so nasty. I've read that you can sand them down and / or clean with vinegar water, but those methods didn't seem to work well for me. Your setup looks great though... I like the tunnel and bendy rope you have on the bottom.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
@mis.kay--What I've noticed about my boys is that they like to be covered. Mine won't use the hammocks either, but they will use the baskets with fleece in them that they can bury themselves in. The hammocks that my boys did love however, were an enclosed cross tube hammock and a pyramid hammock. You might try some tube hammocks and see if they like those. I had a bunch of worn out winter leggings last year, so I cut the legs off and slipped them through and around oatmeal containers (with the bottom cut out) to make kind of an easy no-sew "hammock".
Here's a link to a very nice tutorial for a lot of different hammocks.
http://www.finchaviary.com/Rat/Rat ...ammocks and Accessories - Small File Size.pdf

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah my rats started peeing on the top of the house, i spray it with a vinegar water solution I use to clean all my rats stuff, and if it gets yucky I have no problem replacing it :) I got the beny rope on sale and the tube was a GREAT i've never thought my rats were more like dogs :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts