Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have two little ratty girls, a berk nakie and a beige self. mostly i was wondering how large normal female rats get, because my self is decent sized, but my nakie is so tiny. is she normal-tiny for a hairless rat, or is she even abnormally small for her kind?

i tried to take some comparative pics, so here goes:
mozart, little over 7 months, *loosely* in my hand (she's a squirmer):

picasso, little over 9 months, loosely in my hand:

and picasso, being held still by her tail:

so is mozart average for a female? and how small is picasso compared to other nakie females? will they get any bigger at their age?

any info would be awesome, i'm really just curious...
*EDIT* i guess i should have done this by a ruler... my hand is like 6 inches from tip to heel of my palm (rather small) or like, 7 inches from spread fingertips sideways..., lol

·
Registered
418 Posts
My girl Betty has always seemed small to me too. I think a part of it is that they have higher metabolisms and thus put more energy into staying warm than growing when they're younger.

Though I did my best to get Betty as big as I could and now she's a decently sized girl. I think she's 15 oz, just shy of a pound.

Edit: Your girls are both adorable! I always love the nekkids though. :lol:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I tried to get a good picture of my oldest girl, Jellybean (probably around 10-11 months old), but I had a really hard time with it ^^; She kept wanting to climb into my lap, or onto my shoulder when I let her on my lap :roll:

Here's next to a can of Coke for another comparison (and to show off her berky belly - love it!):

I don't have anything to weigh them with, unfortunately. But my baby double-rex girl is much smaller than her two furry sisters, and I think nakies do tend to stay smaller ^_^

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was worried that my girls are too small too! I've never had girls before only males so I guess in comparision they are TINY. My 8 week old is so unbelievably small. She is about the size my males were at 3 weeks!? Is this normal?
My 13 week old is about the size the boys were at 8 weeks. She is about the same age as my boys and she is about a third their size!

I'll try to get some pictures so you cans ee how tiny they are, but does this sound normal?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I've never had or seen very young males (the youngest were about 3 months), so I'm not sure. However, at 3 months the boys were much bigger than my 3 month old girls, and were already as big as my adult girls. I know males do grow faster and reach their full size earlier than females, so your girls' sizes sound normal to me (except the 8 week old o.o)

Right before my camera battery died, I managed to get a picture of my nakie girl Peanut, who I think is about 8 weeks old now (I always lose track of their ages -.-) She *really* doesn't sit still, so I had to hold her next to the ruler.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Here's a picture of my 8 week old girl, Rina. I don't have a ruler but I had a lighter for size comparison. She's tiny....

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Are you sure she's 8 weeks? o.o She looks about 5 weeks old, in my completely unqualified opinion. Was she a runt?

·
Registered
132 Posts
She may have been. The breeder didn't say she was a runt. Could she be growing slower because she only has 3 legs and maybe got pushed around by her littermates?

·
Registered
47 Posts
My girl have always seemed small too. A pal of mine with three ratties had spayed females, and hers were about one pound! Mine are a little over a half pound....I had always had males previously, and I felt horrible when I saw my pals spayed rats, but I think hers are larger due to the spaying.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts