Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, so I've got what I hope will be a steady job, my mom is pro-rats and I'm slowly (but surely) cleaning my room. It may be a little early but I'm trying to figure out exactly how much money I'll need to save (and how much can go towards my *urg* $1000 tablet fund) just so that I can be all organized and work out a time-line.

So my current plan is to buy three males, but possibly expand on that colony if I find rats to be as wonderful as everyone here tells me they are =) I've been looking at Martin's cages, and I'm thinking of getting one intended for ferrets, as they have that nifty option of a removable 'barn' attic that could double as a travel cage or temporary home for quarantined ratties.

My current top-pick would be The New Englander (FNE - 480) which is about $200 with PVC.

I'm wondering if Martin's Cages are the way to go? I've heard that some people around here don't really like them. I'm also wondering if it might be too big for them? It fits 11 rats with 2.5 ft each. Without the topper it fits 9.

Is there even such thing as 'too big'? I know that some animals actually enjoy feeling confined and safe (like they're in a den) but I'm not sure if rats are one of them.

And if anyone happens to own or have owned this particular cage, how was it for cleaning and decorating? If you live in Canada, how much were you charged for shipping?

Any other (cheaper?) cage recommendations would be awesome as well =D

Thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Re: My First Cage. Martin's - Should I or Shouldn'

It looks like an okay cage to me, but I would maybe contact them and inquire about the bar spacing. If you're planning on getting young males, they could possibly slip through something bigger than 1/2 an inch.

And as long as you give them little hidey places, like pocket hammocks and hidey houses, they should be fine in a large cage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for the reply! I'll be sure to ask about spacing when I inquire about S&H =D If need be I can always cover it in chicken wire until they're grown n.n

·
Registered
126 Posts

You are welcome. :) I'm new to rats as well, but I've already learned so much from this forum.

Aww, I'm a fuzzy now!

·
Registered
10,641 Posts

If you are going to buy a Martin's cage think of it as an investment. Get a rat cage with the smaller spacing (that way you don't have to worry about babies getting out), and powdercoating (much sturdier and long-lasting then Martin's ferret PVC coating).

For 3 boys you could get the R-680, R-685 or splurge and get the R-695 (with the larger doors).

Martin's are amazing cages, and I have 4 R-680's, 1 R-695, 1 R-660, an R-670 and an R-695 on loan, and I gave another R-680 to a deserving ratowner :). My first big Martins' was the RUUD, but I ended up breaking it down.

I also have the ALT rat cage, a Ferret Nation, small superpets, a large superpet ferret cage (storage) and 2-3 Hagen cages, so I have tried a few :)

I live in Toronto and the shipping is expensive, and you sometimes get dinged with customs fees when you go to pick up your big brown box.

·
Registered
174 Posts

If you want the ferret cage, and you call Martin's and ask nicely, they can make it with the rat wire spacing.

·
Registered
110 Posts

So lilspaz86, do you recommend the R-695? I planned to add the powder coat and flip top lid. I have four females (currently 6 weeks). I'm not worried about it being large enough for four females just if it is sturdy and the bar spacing being appropriate. It looks like one of my girls is the runt; she is noticeably smaller than the other three (they are litter mates) so I want to get something whose bars will be spaced close enough without needing to be lined. And the cages at my local pet stores all seem so flimsy. I'd rather buy one high quality cage than several crummy ones.

Duckling, sorry to hijack your thread! But thanks for asking :)

edit: okay I just read their wire spacing is 1/2"x1" so spacing shouldn't be an issue.

edit again: I just ordered the R-695. I should have it by this time next week. Then the rat party will be on!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts