Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, got myself 2 lil baby rats (roughly 12 weeks) on sunday.

i have never ever even held a rat before but i went through a faze of wanting one and in the end i managed to get them!!

i can imagine there goin to get much bigger because they are only the size of like a gerbil and really fast and quite shy. my one MIDGE keeps sort of hiding in his tube but is really curious, does occasionally come onto my hands and never bites, he is bit wriggly when i first handle him but calms down after a while. this is normal i hope lol ive read i need to keep handling him so he gets used to me!

so yea thought id just let you all know about my first rats coz im so excited lol! and just asking how experienced you all are with rats? how many have you had and stuff like that?! lea x x

·
Registered
227 Posts
Congrats on your new rats! Be sure to handle them as much as you can and soon they'll come running when it's playtime.

Personally I have three rats. My oldest girl is just over a year old, and I have two baby girls (about 4-5 weeks old). They are a load of fun.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums! I'm glad you're so experienced.

Since you're new with rats, I hope you don't mind if I ask you some questions to see if you're on the right track? Lots of new rat owners make the same mistake time and again, so I would like to avoid those with you if possible, and it seems to me that you would like to do things right as well.

Are the rats male or female?
What kind of bedding or litter do they use?
What size cage are they in?
What are you feeding them?
Where did they come from?

Please don't think I'm judging you or anything, I just know there were a lot of things I wish I knew when I first got rats. Hope you enjoy your time here :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Welcome!

I have 13 rats currently, but over all I've had 24 within the 7-8 years I've owned ratties. So, I suppose you can say I'm pretty experienced, though I still research and learn new things all the time :) Definitely answer CJ's questions, and we'll help you along in your newbie-dom.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow lots of u have loads of rats!! lol
cj thanks for asking its nice you care lol well:

1. there 2 males (bros who like a squabble now and then) so cute!

2. i use wood pellets for rats which is litter and care fresh bedding, ive also put in some toilet tissue which ive read is ideal for them to carry around and stuff which they have done completely ruined there cage lol.

3. there in a humungous cage it was a complete rat cage originally £90 i got it for £40 woo lol. its a plastic bottom with wire top. they have hammoks and special ropes and stuff.

4. im feeding them rat pellets which stops selective feeding. plus treats for rats and fresh fruit and veg which is suitable.

5. im from england so i dont know if you have heard of "pets at home", well i got them from there, there well looked after, there 2 for £12 so you buy 2 and comes with garuntee aswel.

Am i on the right tracks ??

·
Registered
981 Posts
1. As they are males, you can expect them to get pretty large! So be prepared for that.

2. Unfortunately I don't know for sure what you have available in the UK so I'm not sure about those beddings/litters, so I'll let Night field this one.

3. If you're curious about how many rats your cage can hold, you can check out the rat calculator and it'll let you know.

4. What kind of rat pellets are they? Unfortunately, all rat pellets aren't the same and many aren't even that good for rats at all. Once again, Night knows a good mix for those in England, and I can't remember the name of it nor can I find her post where she mentioned it.

5. In the future, I'd like to recommend not getting rats from pet stores. I'm not sure, maybe your pet store was fine, but here in the US most pet stores don't play with their rats nearly enough and they also don't come from responsible breeders so they are not very healthy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
England is different from the US .. A LOT.
my rats are healthy, clean coat, allert, bright eyes, ears perky, running around.. and i am using everything which is listed on every website i have checked out.
every tip i see i use and my rats seem very happy.
the rat cage i have already used the calculator it can house 5 rats. i have seen pics of how big they get..im lookin forward to that.
the rat pellets they enjoy and "pets at home" is the biggest pet store all around the UK. midge will only eat the flakes from mix foods which is why im using the pellets. ive read the back of the pack and it seems pretty good.
soo at least say im doin something right! lol im not a bad rat owner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts