Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got two young girls. They are so sweet, curious, and lively. They seem to be very healthy as well. Here are some pictures of them.

This 10 gallon tank I have is going to be replaced with a bigger wire cage once they get bigger.

Tell me what you think, any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
They look just like my girls! Except tiny. I also have an agouti berk and a black capped, except Belgie's cap is a little smaller, and has a wedge rather than a spot. And Sevilla's tail has some white at the tips. So I love your girls immediately!
Speaking of immediately, I would get them into a wire cage as soon as possible, don't bother waiting until they're big, aquariums are poor habitats for rats older than nursing age. And give them toys like toilet paper tubes and something to climb on like a hammock or bird ladder.

·
Registered
330 Posts
there so sweet, i love how they burry themselvs in the bedding, wht bedding do you use btw, it looks quite kool?

·
Registered
48 Posts
They are beautiful!!! congrats!!!

But I agree witth the above comment, get them a nice big wire cage, IMHO that is much too small for 2 rats above weaning age :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yay cute baby ratties!! Yay big wire cage!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies!

Yes my two baby girls are quite cute. I couldn't be happier. Does anyone have any idea what kind of rats they are?

And for those who asked, the wheel is a Silent Spinner, and the bedding is CareFresh Ultra.

My rats seen sort of wary of me, and I wanted to know if that is normal for a new rat and their owner. Also, what is the best way for them to get used to me? Tell me of your experiences with brand new rats.

And also, I am going to get that new cage probably in the next couple of days, but I am worried about the rats escaping through the bars since they are rather small. Tell me what you think.

Thanks!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Aww, cute babies! :)

Looks like you have a black Berkshire and a black capped.

It will take a few weeks for them to adjust to a new home and really warm up to you, the best thing you can do is just handle them daily. Hand feeding also helps them associate you with something positive.

How big is the bar spacing on the cage you’re getting? If it’s too large you can zip-tie hardware cloth over the cage until they’re a little bigger. (There is a lot about hardware cloth in the Rat Homes section if you don’t know what it is.)

·
Registered
150 Posts
They are adorable!

I would definitely switch their food, though. Pet store "seed mixes" are horrible for your little girls. Look into "Suebee's", you can google it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AmyBunny said:
They are adorable!

I would definitely switch their food, though. Pet store "seed mixes" are horrible for your little girls. Look into "Suebee's", you can google it.

I am currently using Fiesta.

Its what they were fed at the pet store. Tell me if you think I still need to switch.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You definitely need to switch their food. Kaytee Fiesta is horrible, along with all other pet store seed mixes.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, I will switch their food as soon as I can.

I think me and the rats are starting to bond now, they really seem interested in me and love to climb up my shirt and rest on my shoulders. Its so cute!

I still havent named them yet, Im going to see what their personalities are like first.

Does anyone know of good ways to bond with them, and to help tame them faster?

·
Registered
997 Posts
sweet_dreams91 said:
Does anyone know of good ways to bond with them, and to help tame them faster?
I, personally, believe most rats don't need to be tamed. They just have to get to know you and trust you. It's like having a child: be gentle, use sweet words and tones of voice, and lots of healthy treats and games. They will soon come to love you and be clambering all over themselves to be held by you. :)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Ahaha, right up next to the glass like that?! Rats are the funniest little things, aren't they? So cute! It's seriously like seeing my girlies about a month ago, mine are so big now!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I've been spending a lot of time with my new rats the past two days, and I'm starting to notice that the brown rat is sneezing constantly. I guess she has an upper respiratory infection...

I've already bonded with her so much, I really don't know what to do. I called the pet store and they said I can trade her in for a new one, but I really want to see if I can get her some help or something.

If any of you have dealt with this before, please give me some advice, this is really tough.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Addo sneezes a lot but shows no signs of respiratory stuff. He is about 9 months old (or something) now and very hyper and playful. Sneezing can sometimes just be allergies, dust etc, or maybe the bedding you're using! Try switching it and see if it calms down, or do a big spring clean (make sure to put the ratties somewhere else first!)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts