Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Their home, not as pretty as some of the others I've seen on here but they seem to enjoy running around in there. They really like the old cereal box for some reason and the hammock which is only a dishrag held with thick twine as they've eaten all the good ones. You'd think I starve them as much as they chew.

If you look closely you should be able to see them in there.

here

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
all that wood... it looks nice and jungle-ly but that's going to start holding odor soon. but it has a lot of open space which means you can change it any number of ways whenever you want. i think you and the rats will have a lot of fun with that cage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Nice... what kind of bedding do you use?"

They have a bit of cloth they like to drag into the little house on the bottom and wherever else they like (anything that's loose doesn't stay put). The stuff on bottom is a non dusty wood type sort of stuff they sell here in Germany. We also throw some straw/grass type stuff in that we get from the pet store which the White One likes to build with and block herself in places and tunnel, but there wasn't any in the pic because her surgery (mammory tumor) scar hadn't healed completely yet and I was afraid it might scratch/irritate the area.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
twitch said:
all that wood... it looks nice and jungle-ly but that's going to start holding odor soon. but it has a lot of open space which means you can change it any number of ways whenever you want. i think you and the rats will have a lot of fun with that cage.
We do change it up a lot so they don't get bored. We change the wood once in a while too and always check it to make sure there is nothing on it or in it, and soak it and dry it first (soaking and drying probably unnecessary if wood is fresh cut) before sticking it in. I also started sticking a milk crate with the handle areas closed off over the top opening (with that opening fastened open) as "The Attic" once in a while when I don't have enough time to watch them run about the house. The Grey One really likes exploring and climbing in this extra little space, then I remove it and put it away so they don' get used to it and it's always new fun. Especially if I add a couple new objects in there for her to monkey with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts