Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Bass Equipment stainless steel pan (totally worth it) and have been trying all kinds of bedding alternatives because my girls' are chewers. I don't really want to bother with loose bedding, cause I know they'll just throw that out of the sides of the cage. I've tried puppy pads with fleece on top, plain fleece, and bathroom carpet rugs. All of which have failed to sustain my girls' chewing habits. I have enough toys for them to chew inside of the cage as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions for bedding? I'm almost to the point where I just leave it as the pan with nothing inside of it!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Some people have had luck with putting large loose pieces of fleece on top of the liners. Then the rats dig at those instead of the liners. Maybe you can try that?

·
Registered
601 Posts
My girls do the same thing and so far nothing I've tried has made a difference. I'm to the point where I just adjust the fleece every day when I'm spot cleaning the cages. It's a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've tried the loose fleece but all they seem to do is just pee on it. I just don't want to not have something down cause I don't really want them walking in their pee everytime they go on the pan. They're so darn cute its so hard to stay mad at them! Maybe i'm just too OCD for bedding? Hahaha

·
Registered
953 Posts
Are you making liners that can't be moved? If so, just make the fleece liners so they lay on the floor. Mine will chew it if they can't move them. Some materials are too tempting as well. If your guys chew up fleece liners, try flannel or jean material. You don't have to cover everything in material. Use other things-large dig boxes, large tiles, if it's plastic/metal solid floors leave some open. Cardboard can be used as well and if they chew it, no big deal and it absorbs odors pretty well on it's own. My boys cage has a wire floor at the bottom and they seem to like to move things so they can lay directly on the wire...who knows why...but I can look over and see several tails hanging out the bottom of the cage.

Instead of tradition liners I like play mats too-something that has like already made holes sewed into it here and there that they can crawl into. You can even sew something crinkley into some of the lining if yours like that sort of thing. If mine use the restroom in certain place i put down either a litter box or a deep plastic bin with substrate in it. I make it so everything is easy to yank out at a moments notice as well. Of course now that i've got 15, I need everything as easy as possible to be removed and replaced. I have a group of 7 and a group of 8. The cages have to be cleaned all the way at least twice a week and every day I have to be able to remove and replace things that got yucky in-between. Having a lot of extra's around helps-extra plastic bins, blankets, hammocks, even things like chews and cardboard. If I'm feeling especially motivated I'll cut up a bunch of cardboard into shapes I like to put into the cage at a moments notice.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the fleece clipped to the sides of the metal pan, that might be why they're constantly chewing. When I had the carpets down it wasn't clipped to the sides but they still chewed the corners. Im going to JoAnn's today to get some fabric and I guess i'll just try making liners that only cover the floor. I'll have to try different material this time, and maybe just leave fleece for nesting and chewing. I've tried dig boxes before but they didn't seem too interested, they would just kick the fleece out of the boxes. I've tried the crinkley tunnels too, they just chew through it to get to the crinkley inside of the fabrics. I'll have to run and go get more hiding things and toys, or think of other things to keep them entertained.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm glad you posted this thread. I was looking for the same information. My girls are diggers. I have bedding in their litter pan so I have been trying to use fleece on the floor with a puppy pad under it. However they pull and dig at it until they put big holes in it and it's not usable anymore! I'm gonna try not taking it down and see if that helps. What makes me laugh is that i have fleece on the shelves as well but they never bother that. *shakes head*

One thing I've found my girls like for nesting is that crinkled shredded paper you put in gift bags. The dollar store sells big bags of it and they LOVE it!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll have to try the crinkled paper. I'm literally now just using a flat piece of fleece that doesn't cover the edges, so they can move the fleece where ever they'd like - I just am always readjusting it now. My girls are still chewing the shelves' fleece so that's something i'll need to figure out as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.