Rat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are my girls. I got them July 25. They are now 10 weeks old and sisters. Such little cuties!
Toby - I'mnot squishing her, I swear :p

Topher

I can tell them apart easily by their personalities mainly. Toby is more outgoing, friendly, calm when you have her out, and she's a little piggy! She takes everything I offer her. Grabs it from me actually. Topher is still pretty shy, skittish. She'd rather make a 2ft jump to her cage then stay with me. She's also the submissive one inside the cage. Funny, though, because she's slightly bigger then Toby :p
Here's one of them together

And my fav of Toby :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! :)
I use aspen, always. I've known cedar and pine are toxic to most small animals if not all, as well as snakes for years. I even used aspen when I had my snakes. It's good stuff!
What do you use?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much!! :D

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
they are soooooooooo cute!!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aw thanks everyone!
They are just too funny. I put in another hammock last night for them. This one is just a little bit off the second floor so it also works as a hiding place. Toby was under the hammock eating a grape and Topher was on top the hammock. I guess she wanted to see what Toby was doing so she went under the hammock and 2sec later Toby was chasing her out, with the grape still in her mouth lmao!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine don't have a potty box. I need to train them to do that...hopefully it's not too late. They're almost 11 weeks old now, so probably not...I'm not really sure how to go about training them. And Topher is really picky when it comes to food so I can't seem to find any treats so goes nutso for.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I tried teaching them to use th elitter box back when I first got them (they were about 6 weeks old at the time), they kinda got it, but spent more time chewing up the potty box rather than using it, so I tossed it. Then not too long ago I reintroduced it to them (they are over 2 years old right now) and in about 2 weeks they "got it!" now they use it all the time, except for Jay who likes to pee right behind it in the corner for some odd reason, haha. I dont think its ever too late to train them, they are extreamly smart! Just try it and keep up with it, it takes time, but they'll start using it! :)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
About training them...just get a potty box, use a bedding thats different from their main bedding. Whenever you see poo or pee stick outside the ox, stick it in the potty box, that way they understand that THAT smell belongs in THERE! Haha, they will understand in time, and use it more and more.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great, thank you! I'll definitely give it a shot :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Pretty much if you know where they are pottying, you put the box there, put some of their little presents in there and they get it. my girls got it when I moved them into their new cage, they had to learn to use it or else the cage would have been a mess. And they did and I love em for it. :]

What cage do you have? looks nice!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks! You guys are awesome.
My cage isn't terrible I guess. I got it from Petsmart because I just couldn't find a suitable cage anywhere. It was as close to what I wanted as I could get. I'll get a pic of it on here later today. But basically its a 3 story powder-coated. The dimensions are 16" x 12" x 24". The 2nd story is a full floor, the top being half. It's ok for now, they are still small-ish. But I'll need to find a bigger one soon. Then that way, if I ever get another rat, I can use the old cage for a quaranteen home :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts