Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, my rat Mitch, has turned into a shar pei rat. As cute as the little fat roll around the neck is, I'm quite sure it's not healthy. I know I've probably fed him one too many yogies, and have stopped now completely unless we are training. Therein lies the problem... How do I get Rat Boy Slim to be slim? They have access to a mix that I have made myself and my vet thinks it's great.. Coz I'm in Australia I pretty much just made a combination of subees and the uk subees from what I could find. I also have the lab blocks mixed in that. The bowl doesn't really get topped until it is all gone so to make sure the boys get all of their nutritional needs. How can I put Mitch on a diet? Just stop treats altogether and let him work it off? He's not fully grown yet at all... he's about 3-4 months old. I have a harness for him, but he slipped out of it today, so no walks around the backyard yet... Anyone else had to put their fat brat on a diet?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I am not sure what type of block you have in Australia so if you could provide the product name that would be helpful.

If it is comparative to the block that is recommended here in the states, I would suggest switching them to a staple diet of that (in the bowl 24/7) & only supplement that diet with fresh fruits, veggies & grains. These would not be offered to the rat to eat 24/7 but only small amounts & only what they could consume in the matter of a few minutes. Cut seeds out all together for right now since they are high in fat. Oh yeah... don't offer yogies at all or at least until the weight is off. Use others items that are healthy choices as a reward. You will find that yogies will not be missed & the rat will be healthier without it... it is just sugar & offers no benefit to your rat's overall health. Yogies & the fat rat is as bad a choice as an overweight human sitting down with a half gallon of ice cream & a spoon.

Your rat may be a bit disappointed about a diet change so expect to see them put on a "starvation strike" for a day or so. What he will do is attempt to hold out for the good stuff but being that rats are intelligent, eventually their stomach will when over the mental strike & they will eat what you give them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts