Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think some of you have read my post of my cousin Anthony getting a rat. Well it sounds like my concern was for nothing! While they have made some beginner mistakes, they are very concerned for the well being of this rat! They do have him in a large cage which is good but it is 'plexiglass' grandma said it was huge, larger than a 50 gallon. I advised a wire cage and grandma said that was what she suggested but Vickie worried they would chew through the wire lol. I think they are getting a wire cage now since I told them it might be fine if they clean it out every day and clean the litter every 3 days and suggested the benefits of a wire cage.

We talked for an hour about rat care! They were concerned with what he eats but it sounds like they were feeding him lab blocks from the reptile store you buy in bulk which I suspect is Harlan lab blocks! I told them where to order Harlan. I also told him the feed him fresh veggies everyday and it sounds like they do! They were concerned about him not going in his ball and playing on the wheel lol but I told them most rats HATE the ball and they seemed fine. They will be playing with him on the bed it sounds like!

So yeah, I told them they should get him a friend and they were worried two male rats wouldn't get along. I told them about proper qt and intro techniques and it sounds like they will be getting him a friend soon. They were concerned with his weight and I thought a friend would help him out tremendously. They were also concerned of him peeing on aunt vickie lol. I told them that was a sign of love and they sounded a tiny bit relieved.

I'm just proud of them! they are useing the right bedding but were useing the wrong one at some point. I told them why not to use pine bedding or ceddar bedding EVER and they seemed fine. They thought pine was alright but now know it isn't lol. I'm so proud of them taking concern and careing for their ratty well!

Yeah, there are many beginner mistakes but I think most of us has had them. I'm also surprised at my grandma, her hatred for rats seems to have melted away when Vickie took in this rat. I don't think she holds him but she helps advice how to take care of him and cut him a piece of the corn on the cob off to eat last night. I find that incredibly cute.

I am also incredibly relieved that I will not have to adopt this rat later on because he is being taken care of! I was worried I would >_>

I will try to push the wire cage more. I will send them links to suggested cages. Hopefully they will get one sooner than later.

·
Registered
489 Posts
best thing you can do is to educate which you are!

hopefully theyll get a nice wire cage and a friend.

but its good to know another rat in the world got a good home.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eh, if they don't get one before my Hobbes and Morgan are fully introed to Bert, and I have a replacement ferret cage for my ferrets so Odin and Bastian can live in that, I will give them that cage. It can only hold up to two rats but seems to be good for that, Morgan and Hobbes LOVE it lots.

But I bet they will buy one soon, especially if I keep bugging them about it lol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
sounds like they really like the rattie so i think they would do fine..all of us had to start somewhere, and they have you to help. you should tell them about this forum and they can sign up and learn alot to help them. :wink: trish

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I suggested that. They have crappy dial up so I don't know if this would be hard to navigate for them lol.

I'm probably going to build a version of my cage for them, or give them the two rat cage my current non introed boys are in which will hold two rats. Not huge by any means but the boys in there right now seem to LOVE it cause it has lots of fun levels and uses the space pretty well. Their favorite thing to do is shake it and tear up their fleece lol they are very distructive with the fleece I put in there.

She wants a hairless like Bert, so despite my trying to get her to get a well bred rat or a adoption we are probably getting a pet rat from a pet store I'm not 100% fond of. Bert came out really well, but he was handled by the employees all the time. That store didn't have any more hairless but another location did. I'm going to see if they are well handled and healthy before they buy them. I suggested proper quaranteen and they have another house they can put him in for a couple weeks so let's hope they do that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts