Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a couple days ago on Friday, we celebrated our 2 year "gotcha day". I knew I was going to lose her this year, she is probably around almost 2 1/2 years old by now. I just kept hoping it would be later. She's had 3 lumps removed, and I knew she would get more. But the location of this lump will be inoperable and will likely cause me to have her pts very soon. It's directly behind her urethra area, almost as if her genitals are right on top of the lump. It feels about the size of a pea. This may be similar to Pancakes who we lost earlier this year who had a cancerous abscessed tumor that would have eventually grown to block his urethra and cause pain and kidney failure. I imagine this tumor is almost the same given its location. I'll call the vet as soon as they open in the morning in order to get an official opinion. As far as I can see, she is still urinating normally. I have her in a spare cage now on white paper towels to make sure.

I've never loved an animal as much as I love her, and she seems to truly love me back. We have a very special bond and I will probably never love a pet as much as I love her now. She is such a special little soul. This is breaking my heart. I had just hoped I would have had more time with her. I can't believe I am going to be dedicating a post in the "over the rainbow bridge" section soon.

I'll be giving her the turkey tail supplement mix every single day from now on. I hope it will help a little..

·
Registered
870 Posts
I know just how devastating it is to be counting the days we have left with one of our special babies. Every loss hurts, but some are just too painful. Hugs to you and Bijou.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
AT the size of a pea surgery might be possible, but whether is's a good idea for a 2 1/2 year old rat or not can be debated. But yes benign mammary tumors do tend to come back. Rats live short lives and we can't do much to change that in the long run.... I'm saddened by your situation. I've been there and will be again. It really doesn't ever get easier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts