Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bassically I live in the desert. And year round it is almost never under 80 degrees during the day. And we have a swamp cooler rather than a/c. So basically the temperatures range from 80-100. Now I am almost certain there is no way I can get rats until I can move out of my parents house and go somewhere cooler. But on the off chance I thought I would ask anyway. So, am I completely out of luck?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update. I just realized that my mom has a guinea pig who does totally fine where we live. And guinea pigs like the same temps as rats. So with a bit of effort to keep the cage extra cool in the summer (Wet towels, marble tiles, frozen water bottles, ETC) I think I may just be able to pull this off! I guess my thermometer was inaccurate lol.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Rats do not tolerate hot temperatures well at all. In the high 80s-low 90s they can become uncomfortable, in the higher 90s they can begin to get sick & it will cause distress and over 100 and lets just say it is really bad. Rats do not sweat and control their temp through their tail.

I live in New York, when my AC broke and my apartment reached high 80s-low 90s, my rats were miserable. They pancaked and laid around doing nothing. Which my rats almost never stop moving lol

There are things that can help, like you suggested in your second post. But they last for a short window of time and if you forget or are out that day it isnt going to help much.

Anywhere that is really hot I would suggest getting AC. IDK what a swamp cooler is lol But they have window AC units that are fairly inexpensive and you can put it in the window of the room the rats are kept in to keep them a bit cooler.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A swamp cooler basically reduces the temperature but not massively so. Anyway, it turns out the thermometer I was using was defective. And it only really gets hot in the summer. So I should be ok. I'm gonna take in some foster rats. And that way I have a failsafe if It ends up being too hot for the little guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts