Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey hey,

Apparently you need to make a couple posts here before you're a full-fledged member so that's what I'm doing! I recently adopted two middle-aged sisters (will be 1 year old next month!) that are a bit shy. I named them Cocoa and Indy after two family dogs that have passed away.

They have a Critter Nation cage that I think might actually be a little too big. I'm slowly trying to socialize them. When I got them they wouldn't go near the front of the cage. It's been a week and they'll now happily crawl onto my hand but will back away quickly if I move. They'll get there, I hope.

Some pics:

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

- Michael

·
Registered
479 Posts
Trust me, no such thing as to big! I would definitely look at the Trust Training and Immersion threads and see what info you can take from there to help your girls get used to you easier. There are plenty of ways to do it, I like combining diffrent aspects with what works for me and the rat in question.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've read the trust training post and am trying to do a version of the gradual socialization. They'll do just about anything for avocado so I've been using that a lot and hopefully I'm not giving them too much.

I started by just giving them mushed up avocado from a spoon wherever they were in their cage. Then I made them have to come to the front of the cage. Then they had to touch my hand. Then they had to crawl out onto my hand (so that at least one of their back feet touched).

I'm not sure where to go from here. I'd like them to be comfortable with me picking them up. I'm trying to lift them but about 1/2 an inch but they're very flighty whenever I move at all. But as soon as they've backed away a little they're back for more treats, sort of trying to figure out how they can get at the avocado without being lifted. Every now and again they'll continue licking at the avo mush while I'm lifting them slightly.

I guess I should just keep going and hope they'll be more and more okay with being lifted!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts