Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a very long wait I have finally got my first two rats! I've always wanted rats, and my little boys are perfect to me. I actually wasn't planning on getting them just yet, but I'm glad I did. I always look at the animals in Pets at Home whenever I'm passing, and when I was at the rats, there were two little boys that stood out to me. I was originally planning on going to a breeder but these two little ratties were so curious of me and kept trying to follow me from inside the poorly sized containers they have in pet shops. They stole my heart, so I just had to take them home with me otherwise, I knew I would really regret it later.

So now I have my two little babies (I call them brothers because they do look like :p) and I love them so much already. They're called Alfie and Eddie. Little did I realise until this morning that their names are shortened versions of Alfonse and Edward from one of my favourite animes! xD

Their coat is so beautiful and soft! They're still nervous of me but I do expect that as I've only had them for 5 days now. Whenever I'm around their cage I sit and talk to them and occasionally put my hand in. For the first few days they would keep hiding from me whenever I came in the room but last night was the first night they let me watch them play around in the cage. It was fascinating to watch for the first time. :)

I had a little accident this morning when trying to get them to go into their travel case so I could clean their cage. Alfie thought it would be a good idea to jump out from my lap and run under my wardrobe! I thought the whole process of me trying to get him out from under there would make him more scared of me, but it's actually helped! He was cleaning himself in their sputnik and he didn't flinch or try to hide when I sat and talked to him. Progress!!!

I don't know if the photo attachment will load or not, but Eddie (he's on top) is the one with white on him whereas Alfie is the light ginger colour all over.

These are my first rats and definitely not the last! If anyone has any advice or tips then that would be great if you could share them! I'd love to know what your experiences are with getting your ratties to trust you, and how long it roughly took for you. I know every rat is different but I'd love to know! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
601 Posts
They're very cute. :) You should read Rat Daddy's immersion thread if you haven't already, there's lots of great info in there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts