Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Binky is a fan of his cage. He doesn't fight to stay in but if I let him choose, that's where he goes. Do I force him out? He doesn't bite or get aggressive, and he'll let me love on him a little, but mainly he just wants to go home. The question is...do I let him? He has a heart condition so stress is something we try to minimize. I just hate forcing him out when he's made it clear he's happy in his own little world.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a rat who is like this as well. Personally, I don't feel like my rat is staying in his cage because he is afraid or unsociable. When I first got him (at 7 weeks old) he was one of my most rambunctious ratties. But, as he got older he seemed to mellow out and prefer to stay home. One of the things I love most about rats is the fact that they all have their own personalities. I don't think one rat should be expected to like/dislike the same things as his cage mates.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Especially as a male some rats don't need much exercise. I have heard of several rats around this website that often just stay in during playtime and nap cuz they just prefer their cage and if they don't need the exercise there's nothing wrong with it. I have 2 boys and one of them is very hyper and could run around for 3 hours and still be playing and my other boy plays for about a half hour and then finds a quiet place to nap for the remainder of playtime. he usually prefers to nap somewhere snuggly in my room like under the covers or in my desk cubby but sometimes he just goes back to his cage and naps there. The reason it's so important to give our rats free time is for 2 main reasons in my opinion. 1: exercise and 2: socialization with their mommy or daddy. my boy who doesn't need much exercise also happens to be very independent and only comes to me for a few minutes of attention a day as well whereas my hyper boy needs lots and lots of love. So i would imagine your homebody boy is also pretty independent and doesn't need or want too much love from you on a daily basis. If that is the case, that's probably why he just likes to chill out in his home most of the time. Don't feel bad if that's his choice. You must have done a nice job making his home nice for him. Just continue to offer time for exercise and offer attention to him and he will come out if he feels he needs it. If he starts to get overweight then maybe you should start encouraging more exercise?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts