Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the past week my 3 and 1/2 year old rattie Mila has not been able to move. She has lost the use of both her front and back legs. The only thing she will occasionally eat is yogurt and I have to force her to drink water and at that it is only about 2mL worth. She does not seem to be in pain (no squeaking when I pick her up) but she has tons of porphyrin around her eyes that I have to whipe away multiple times a day. My question is...should I have her euthanized or go on as I have been doing and let her die peacefully at home...the vet says there is nothing that can be done and is not surprised at her state after her bout of pneumonia a few months back(which we treated successfully wih antibiotics). I wish she would die peacefully here but I am torn on whether or not to have her euthanized, or even to euthanize her here at home(she gets very stressed goong to the vets office). Just a bit of back story...Mila is my life, my love, my little baby....the best rattie a girl could hope for. Please help me with any suggestions you may have! Thanks in advance

·
Registered
953 Posts
I hate decisions like this and ultimately it's your personal one.

If she was mine and I felt sure she was in no pain and was able to hand feed her yogurt I would and hope she goes peacefully on her own. (she may not be drinking water because she is eating yogurt which has a lot of moisture in it) I would try any liquids or foods regardless of how unhealthy as well, if she likes it then awesome. I consider the last days of my fur kids to be as spoiled as they like. We are past the point of worrying over if something is healthy or not at this point.

If she is unable to move on her own I probably would only go like this for a few days and if she had not passed I would have a vet help her too. Another consideration is that if she is not getting up, during this time she will need to be bathed/cleaned through out the day to make sure she doesn't get urine burns. Is she ok with this or is it too traumatizing?

I feel for you, whatever your decision is, it will be made with her best interest at heart so don't beat yourself up.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Our rats have gone at home... some more peacefully than others, but when the time comes they go very quickly... they just slip away. It's a very sad and difficult time, but it can be a rewarding one, and yes it's a round the clock vigil and chore. We try to spend as much time hugging and snuggling and talking as we can, making sure our rats know how much they are loved and appreciated and saying goodbye. And yes, feeding them their favorite treats and if they are up to it taking them around the house a bit to their favorite places... Fuzzy Rat used to love to hang out the third floor window, so we let her sit on the ledge for a while her last day looking outside at her yard, we offered to take her out but she refused, she wasn't up to it.. but she cut my phone cord (it took her nearly six hours to get behind my desk and cut the cord, and she ate tasty treats and lastly she preened my lips, then she asked to go to her cage, waited for my daughter to say goodnight and she slipped quietly away... It was a terribly sad and yet beautiful last day. Amelia was in congestive heart failure for nearly a week and had many seizures, but she recovered and clung on to us for dear life, literally... finally she pulled out of her last seizure and climbed up onto my shoulder... to my surprise, when I reached to steady her... I felt her heart stop... It's where she wanted to die... with me... again it was very hard and yet very touching. I can't say what Mila's last day will be like, but it's your call. There's no right or wrong choice...

In any event it's likely to be all over in a few hours to a few days either way.

My sympathies are with you and Mila.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have had rats go both ways. I did euthanize one because she had a tumor and it eventually got to the point where it was practically heavier than her and she could barely move. It's whatever you think is best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, things are looking just a little brighter today! Movement and evrrything is still the same but she ate 3 teaspoons of baby food! And an entire syringe of water once I added sugar to it -__- and she welcomed me when I got home from work....I cannot bring myself to put her down with this small sign of improvement....thank you all for the comments, much appreciated :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts