Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[align=center]I got two little boy ratties! <333
I'm having no trouble bonding Waffle, the larger of the two. He's utterly squishy and loves me...
Brom... Isnt taking kindly. he's much like a wild mouse. VERY skittish and freaked out at me moving..

Right now, We play wrestle in they cage, and I let them out of my bed and they normally crawl into my shirts and play. Any advice on bonding? Also, when will they calm down to being held? They are both 6 weeks.

EDIT: Also, I'm trying to name train them so I can let them free range and they will come when called. Any advice on this?
and.. I have them a hammock in their house but they dont know how to use it! O_O so they slept under it under I put their cube in there.. will they 'learn' to use a hammock or did I waste my money?[/align]

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Sounds like you're doing fine. They'll eventually settle in and stop being so jumpy. Promise.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Most rats seem to eventually like hammocks... except mine :( You might want to put it low, so it's right on a shelf. They should be more likely to go in it if they have solid footing, and then you can gradually raise it up higher. That worked for me with one of my rats - but then I put her in with a couple anti-hammock rats and she hasn't been in one since :roll:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I started name training in the cage, by saying their name and giving them a treat if they came.

Now they will listen, but if they're interested in something else more... well... I have stubborn boys.

Puck will come, anyway. :lol:

Try putting the hammock low or where they can walk straight out into it. Trying putting treats in it and setting them in it or letting them 'find the treats' themselves. My boys sometimes ignore their hammocks, especially when it's hot, but when I take them out I get sad eyes. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts