Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got my cage, and it's really nice...I spent all day yesterday setting it up to the way that I like it...so tell me what you think! Oh, and just a note...as soon as I get more grommits I will be making another two hammocks, one that is small and blue that will take the place of the pirate one that is in there now, and one that is large like the blue one that has pirates for the pirate themed bedding!

Emy

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Oh wow, very nice! How many ratties are going to be in there?

·
Registered
997 Posts
A note on grommits--maybe it's me but grommets tend to rip and stretch the fabric to the point of the grommet falling out. It's better, IMO, to sew on loops of fabric and hang it up on a hook.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Vixie - I've never had a problem with grommets, and I've used them for years. The key is to make the hole barely big enough for the grommet to fit through - the tighter the fit, the better.

Speaking of grommets, I just bought 1,000 grommets on eBay :p Nothin' like buying in bulk for rattie needs!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Night, I've just poked the tip of scissors in there and shoved the grommet through and it still rips. x_X

Maybe the fabric I'm using just isn't meant for grommets..xD

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Wow, really? I've been making and selling hammocks for a little over a year now, and have also made a TON for myself and Huron Valley Rat Rescue, and rarely have any of the grommets fallen out. Usually it's because of ratties chewing around them :p Though, if you're using straight fleece, fleece is VERY stretchy and could stretch the grommet hole quite a bit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm getting two boys, so I think they will have a lot of nice room to play. I calculated the cage and it said it could fit two or possibly three, so I have the option to expand my family a little if it ever comes to that!

The great grommet debate...I have used grommets with fleece before and had no problems at all. I even stretch them very much to make sure that the hole that I used was small enough...after hanging I bear my weight down into the hammock until it's stretched to make sure the holes won't rip.

I think as far as time goes grommets are much easier, but strips of fabric are cheaper...but again I think they could rip just as much as the grommets...I'm ok with the idea that my hammocks won't last forever...lol

Emy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts