Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother and I built a cage for Sam I Am and, when we're past the quarintine and intro phase, Baz and Deo.

It's Sammy approved!!!

Please note the two untouched yogies in the food dish. Sam prefers broccoli.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
whats the screening made out of? my rats chewed through theirs....... (not trying to make you worried, mine was made out of fiberglass)

·
Registered
107 Posts
if at all possible, try to get something on the wood doors so its chew proof.

the cage i just built had a gap between the wood and mesh at the door, and i came home finding my Toodles chewing the heck out of it. if i had been a few hours later, she might have gotten out. i re-meshed that particular part of the frame, and its ok now..

but yeah, i think you need to fix up the door portions for that reason, exposed wood will be chewed, and a door is not a good place for chewing as it will losen up the mesh so they can excape

·
Registered
78 Posts
Amazing....i built my own too....not even comparable. if only they were litter trained i might try for something like that one....shavings=messy rat poopy in shavings=even more messy. i am jealous....period. and so are my rats.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rat_Ratscal - The screening is 1/2" galvanized steel hardware cloth.

bubsybob - I'm not too worried about the doors being chewed through at the moment because Sam has no interest in them, he prefers to chew on the tennis ball. He also has on interest in escaping his cage, he'll only leave if I'm holding him. I'll need to do something about them once it's time for Baz and Deo to enter the cage because Deo is an aspiring escape artist.

xxpinkfunxx - I wouldn't have done nearly as good a job had my brother not helped me, he builds houses for a living. Sam wasn't litter boxed trained when I put him in it but he seems to want to keep his new cage clean.

·
Registered
28 Posts
just to let you now that little plastic tree the base is hollow [ trust me i have owned these in the past ] and it is very easy for water to get in there so just to let you now

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cappy said:
just to let you now that little plastic tree the base is hollow [ trust me i have owned these in the past ] and it is very easy for water to get in there so just to let you now
Not mine, it's solid. It came from a fish store and is meant for aquariums.

·
Registered
28 Posts
ok it just look's exactly like my old one that had a hollow base
by the way what company is it made by?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not really sure the brand name, my brother's the one that actually found it. I think maybe Aquatic Gardens possibly. Sorry I can't be sure, I got it a while ago.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Very nice! Whats the blue stuff in the bowl? It looks like cricket goo... but I don't think it is...

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
glindella said:
Very nice! Whats the blue stuff in the bowl? It looks like cricket goo... but I don't think it is...
Look like those glass aquarium pebbles, I think.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
glindella said:
I call them flat marbles.(Not sure what the actual name is.) It's the play/grooming water dish

·
Registered
549 Posts
simbakitten said:
Cricket goo? whats that
Its blue and the consistency of jello. Its used to provide water (there are some that aren't blue and contain vitamins and food) to crickets. I personally hate touching the stuff.

·
Registered
87 Posts
do you think the rats like that flooring cause it seems really easy and im thinking of using it? woah and what's that? The play/grooming dish? Explain please? =DD

1 - 20 of 25 Posts