Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have decided to be a foster home for the local humane society's rats. After losing Mocha, I felt like I wanted to step in and help as many rats as I can since she was a rescue herself.

I lost her Sunday and already on Wednesday I get a call that two abused girls that were quarantined at the humane society were ready to go to foster. Of course, I still have them quarantined. Apparently they were in their quarantine for a week.

Anyway...

I guess their situation was horrible. They were living together in one of the smaller critter keepers with no room to turn around and no room to stand up or walk. They were literally shoulder to shoulder with each other on a pile of soiled newspaper that was piled so high, their heads lightly touched the lid of the "cage".

It looked like instead of taking out the old soiled newspaper, they just added more in. They were surrounded by rotting fruit which I guess they were supposed to eat, and had no toys.

I guess the lady had small kids (ages 4 and 6) and since the kids weren't taking care of the rats (why wasn't the MOM taking care of them?) and the birds (apparently they brought in birds in worse condition than the rats) and wanted to trade them in for a cat like it was a used car lot.

Of course they denied her the cat and nearly pressed charges.

I am fostering them. My first foster babies! They are too shy for photos, but one is albino (named her Sugar) and the other one is a chocolate brown hooded (who looks EXACTLY like my Mocha looked) who we named Spice.

I believe Sugar the albino is blind. All she does is huddle in a corner but she does brux and boggle if you pet her. You have to say her name or let you know you are there before you touch her or she jumps in shock.

Spice... well... you can tell she has NEVER in her life had room to run around. She runs laps around the room at lightning speed (you wouldn't believe how fast!) and comes running to you for tickles. She comes up to me, I tickle her and say, "get the Spicy!" and then she takes off running and comes right back for more tickles.

Amazing girls. Absolutely amazing. I can't believe anyone could treat them so badly. Poor Sugar is traumatized. I think the children were rough with them since they both freeze in fear when being picked up.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think S & S are very fortunate to have you looking after them! :) Please keep us updated with rehab updates. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts