Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy cow. I have a new baby, but not in the way I should have adopted a new baby.

My friend texted me about an hour and a half ago. She said I needed to hurry to her house, but wouldn't tell me why. When I got there, she was holding a little box with holes in it and looked pretty upset. She knows I have rats and apparently saved one from her boyfriend's snake. Apparently the snake wasn't hungry, the boyfriend was afraid the rat would hurt the snake, took the rat out of the enclosure, and told his girlfriend he would just break it's neck and freeze it for later. She (understandably) freaked out and said she would just keep the rat and he could buy a frozen one next time, if that was the case.

She has no enclosure and doesn't actually like rats. Why did she save it? It's a baby. She just couldn't let him do it to a baby. I don't even think my new girl is six weeks old.

I didn't wait to get home to start calming her down and immersing her. I immediately took the terrified girl out of her box and held her. I can't imagine the trauma of being chased by a predator, know death could be any second, and then being thrown back into the box you left some store in. At first, she tried like crazy to run from me and took some nibbles (didn't break the skin), but I just talked to her very calmly. She fits very comfortably in my cupped hands. I slowly started to stroke her as she calmed down and this is how she is now. I'm incredibly surprised at how quickly she's calmed with everything she's been through.

So here is my new girl, and her story. I've never had a rat so young before. Anything special I should do for her? I'm going to keep her with me all day with little reprieves to her quarantine cage for potty and food. Will Oxbow adult rat food be okay until I can get some young rat food for her, or should I just go out now and pick up something for her? Will she be okay alone until she's big enough to go with my one year old rats?

I'm a little nervous. Here she is. It's not the best shot of her size, but if I reach for her, she freaks out and it takes a lot of time to calm her back down.

Skin Nose Leg Whiskers Ferret
(How do I rotate these?)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, any ideas on a name, considering her surprising origin? I'm bad with names....

·
Registered
555 Posts
Holy cow! That's so sad. I can't believe her boyfriend would snap it's neck and freeze it. That's so good that you took her in though!

I really like the name Stella or Luna :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, I like Luna!

I finally got her out of my hood for a moment and managed to snap a quick picture. The moment she's out in the open, she bolts for the first covered spot she can find.

Is it just me, or does she seem really small? Computer keyboard Netbook Sky Laptop Technology

1 - 5 of 5 Posts