Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a question is it normal for your rat to seem lazy the first few days you have it weve seemed to bounded fairly well. still poos when its in my hand though and is there any teqniques are games that would help the bonding process and should he out grow pooing on me are is that because he just scared of me. i know it was proublys not a good but i literally chased him around the cage with my hand until i grabed him was that a bad idea 8O

ill post pictures later

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Pooing on you is usually fear, though little ones can't hold it very well, either.

Some rats like to play chase (usually they chase you), but if you were trying to catch him to pick him up that could be bad, yes.

My rats were very quiet their first days. They were scared in their new environments. Especially when they were alone.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Once he's more comfortable with you, he'll stop pooping on you.

With rats, patience pays off. Don't chase him around and grab him, but try just leaving your hand in the cage for a while, not moving or reaching for him. Let him sniff you and get comfortable with your presence. When you do pick him up, scoop him up from underneath. It'll cause less stress and fear for him. Spend at least 20 minutes a day holding him and letting him climb on you.

Is he your only rat?

·
Registered
722 Posts
One of my girls poops whenever she's afraid/in an unfamiliar place, so I've learned to leave a small cage out when I let her run around in an area that I think she might not like. That way, she can run in the cage if she needs to, and she doesn't end up pooping on me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mana said:
Once he's more comfortable with you, he'll stop pooping on you.

With rats, patience pays off. Don't chase him around and grab him, but try just leaving your hand in the cage for a while, not moving or reaching for him. Let him sniff you and get comfortable with your presence. When you do pick him up, scoop him up from underneath. It'll cause less stress and fear for him. Spend at least 20 minutes a day holding him and letting him climb on you.

Is he your only rat?
im embaressed to admit hes my only rat

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i'm sorry but you have to load the picture onto the internet first before it will work. photobucket.com is a great service for this. signing up is free and the amount you can put on there seems limitless

·
Registered
48 Posts
Rats are neophobic so scared of new things, when he gets used to you he should stop pooing but try not to chase and grab cause he may become scared of your hand, put your hand in the cage maybe hold a treat it may take time but let him come to you, have a sniff, realise its you, I have to make sure my rats have a good sniff of me to make sure its me if you just shove your hand right in they can get a bit scared and like whoa who are you! lol :) good luck x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts