Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, Ken from Quebec here.

It's been about 10 years since I last owned and bred rats and I still miss having them around. I'd have to say the main reason I stopped is because of 2 rats in particular who touched me so deeply that I couldn't have more after they passed.. I still miss Patches and Powder!

3 Months ago I bought an old house and just yesterday night I was typing at my computer when something cought my eye, I turned my head to see what moved on top of the fridge and there she was the cutest grey rat!

Yes i'd love to befriend her! But the reality is I can't let her live in my walls!
I hope some of you might have a solution for me.

Cheers
Ken

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Look into Havaheart traps and try trapping her and releasing her elsewhere.

Else, I think most of the other options are... distasteful. :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the speedy reply! I'll see what I can find... Is it a bad idea to keep wild rats? I have read stories of wild rats becoming quite freindly...

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
That depends. Most wild rats I doubt you could ever tame. Even half-wild rats tend to be handfuls and unpredictable. You could likely keep them, but you'd likely have to accept that you may not ever be able to handle them without gloves and such, depending on the rat, of course.

Some 'wild' rats are released pets. You might have more luck with them.

But they'll probably have parasites that'll need treated, and most wild rats have much shorter lives than domestics, I think. :(

·
Registered
407 Posts
Forensic said:
Some 'wild' rats are released pets. You might have more luck with them.
i was wondering about that...

There is a cat in our neighborhood that catches and kills baby ratties (ugh) and leaves them at our front door step. Why she has chosen us to give her gifts to, is completely beyond me. :(

Anyway, most of them look like pet ratties. They are cute, hoodies, blues, dalmations...you name it. I dont know much about this, but I was wondering if some were pet rats that someone released :cry:

One of them was still alive and jumped on my son's shoulder. We tried to catch him to take him to the vet for the bite that this cat inflicted, but he ran. He looked like a pet rattie to me....he was a blue hooded

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Definitely sounds like some pet rats got loose (or were loosed) and are likely breeding up a storm. :(

You could possibly try trapping them, but they won't be socialized in any way. :?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know its kinda not the same but thought i'd give my views anyway.
When my mum moved into her new house she could hear something scrapping away behind the fireplace and sure enough when she pulled it out it was a tiny baby field mouse about 6 weeks old. It had huge ears and my mum fell in love. She called me to ask what i thought and at the end of the day, if my mum would of let that mouse go it wouldn't of survived very long at all. So she took it to the vets who gave her some treatment for any parasites and away she went. The mouse became tame and she has had it for 2 years!!! :D
I know it was probably because the mouse was a baby but it was just to say that it can be done.
xoxox

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies folks, I got a Havaheart trap and it's full of yummy crunchy peanutbutter:).

I haven't seen her on the counter since i scared her away but i still hear her. She is a beauty and i wouldn't mind keeping her so we'll see how that goes... i'll post a pic as soon as i have her;)

cheers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok obviously I am dealing with a very smart rat LOL... Anybody have any ideas what else i can try to lure her in to the live trap? So far i've tried peanutbutter, a variety of cheeses and butter which is what she always goes for when i forget it on my counter.

I've also cleaned the live trap because the person who loaned it to me said he cause lots of chipmunks and I figured scent might be keeping her away from it.... not!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rats have a highly developed sense of smell, just because it smells clean to you doesn't mean it smells clean to her. That's not a very helpful statement, I'm sorry about that. You could try greasing the insides of a tall bucket/pail/can and putting something tasty at the bottom... maybe a few tasty things.. some seeds and peanut butter and crackers...

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maer said:
Rats have a highly developed sense of smell, just because it smells clean to you doesn't mean it smells clean to her. That's not a very helpful statement, I'm sorry about that. You could try greasing the insides of a tall bucket/pail/can and putting something tasty at the bottom... maybe a few tasty things.. some seeds and peanut butter and crackers...

Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestion, i happen to have a tall bottle used for making wine, I think she would be able to squeeze through the openning. I dropped some homemade 8 grain sourdough bread in there along with a couple of black walnuts cracked open.... I laid the bottle on the counter and covered it with a towel so it's nice n dark in there... fingers crossed!

·
Registered
116 Posts
AT a place I used to work we'd see mice on occassion very smart mice that NEVER got caught in live traps or stickie traps but treat was always gone. However if youd leave a hersheys peanut butter cup inside a office trash can just under the ledge of a desk youd catch one every time.

I brought a baby mouse home couldnt have been more than 8 weeks old, but I never ever could tame her.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the tall bottle isn't working so it'll be the tall garbage can tomorrow after garbage pickup. I happen to have some chocolate and PB.... so fingers crossed!

I have my doubts about keeping her even if i do end up catching her. She has been extra careful not to be spotted ever since the first or second time I first saw her.... she is taking no chances lol, but it never fails if i leave food out for her it's gone within the hour.

·
Registered
194 Posts
we are having the same problem. we have a humane trap - just to catch her and release her but she goes in and takes the food...the doors closes, yet the rat is no where to be seen!!!! i have to keep all the doors to my rat room closed in case she gets in there and gives my girls diseases. i've only seen her butt but she looks cute (if very scared of people!)

i am concerned if she goes next door she will become victim to poisoning and such as i don't think they are rodent friendly...

i'm going to keep reading to get some ideas for how to catch her live

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No luck with the garbage can either and tonight she stole a chicken leg!!
I've had to revamp my pantry, built an island now that she can't get up on so now if i remember not to put my food on the main counter she'll be gettin nothing... maybe after a while I can try the live trap again when she maybe more eager for something yummy;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
we caaught our wild rat in a live trap and released her but a word of warning to people. she has infected 2 of my rats with possibly some sort of parasite, they are coming up in scabby whelts on their skin and one is having respiritory problems, to me it has come on over night. took them to emergency vet and so far are just on antibiotics. i am so upset i know its not something that could be helped as the wild rat must have been coming through the skirting boards and so on as we were careful about keeping doors closed. i really hope my boy and girl are ok

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pomperella said:
we caaught our wild rat in a live trap and released her but a word of warning to people. she has infected 2 of my rats with possibly some sort of parasite, they are coming up in scabby whelts on their skin and one is having respiritory problems, to me it has come on over night. took them to emergency vet and so far are just on antibiotics. i am so upset i know its not something that could be helped as the wild rat must have been coming through the skirting boards and so on as we were careful about keeping doors closed. i really hope my boy and girl are ok
Wow that did seem to happen fast! I so hope they will be ok. My thoughts are with you.

Congrats catching your wild one!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
trash you don't have rats right now right? well with you whole bucket trap, i've heard of making it dark and give the rat an isolated feeling, making a ramp too the top with books, the only problem is, even though you may grease the sides rats can jump, HIGH. i've heard of spreading flour all over the room of the house you're planning on trapping her in that way you can see her foot prints and which way she goes ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
tell me how it goes please i would like to know. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts