Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new little babies! :) They are so TINY! They will be one Month on Monday (Oct 1). :) They have black hoods to their shoulders and each have a black stripe down their back, one also has some striping along the ribs. Their Mom was a friendly healthy Hooded Long-Evans and their Dad was a PEW. These little guys have black eyes. All of the litter had black eyes. They are soo sweet, not skittish, not aggressive either. I'm so happy and will send pics later. :)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Wow, that's really young. They shouldn't have been separated from their mom so soon. I don't know much about taking care of babies that young, except that they'll need extra protein. I think there's a post renay made a few days ago about a really young rat with some tips on how to care for them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to Ratguide.com, weaning typically occurs by day 28, and sexual maturity can occur by the 5th week. These had stopped nursing except occasionally and eat lab blocks. They are the smallest in the litter so I will need to give them some extra attention. The Ratguide also says that it's best to introduce babies to adults when the babies are at least 6 weeks old. This gives me 2 weeks for quarantine as well as allowing the little ones to grow up a bit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts