Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I got my new little rattie. I think we are naming her Aurora but calling her Rorie.

First we went to Petco to find out the only sold boys. Then to a local pet shop where I got my previous rat (about a week ago). When I got there they said they had no female rats so I looked around and found small young feeder rats. Which is where we got my current rat. I got to play with the little guys, so many cute ones!! I fell in love with this one with one eye but he was a boy :( Eventually I found a girl in the pile of rats. She was sweet and outgoing not scared to be handled. Overall she looked healthy. So I got her.

I brought her home, cleaned my rat cage, and checked her out again. I made sure she was a girl and health wise looking good. No crusty **** anywhere, clean eyes, overall seemed great. Now I know you are suppose to quarantine but I couldn't :(

So I introduced them and they hit it off! I figured they were littler mates because I bought them from the same store about a week apart and they are the same breed and size.

I'm a little nervous though because while they were in the tub meeting eachother and while I was checking her out before hand. My new rat was sneezing every now and then but it kinda sounded more like puffing air and chirping and when she sniffed around sometimes it sounded like a nose whistle. Do yall think she might have a URI? If so are there any home remides? or medicines at pet stores?

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Glad to hear they're getting along, and congrats on the new babies!

It is possible that your new baby has a URI, but keep in mind that some rats are just sneezy. A friend of mine has a rat that's 1 1/2 years old, has never had a URI, but regularly sneezes. xP

It is possible to order the meds you need online, but if you aren't sure whether or not it's actually a URI, I would take her to the vet first.

If you haven't already, you should take a look at this thread: http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?39747-Is-Your-Rat-Sneezing-URI-and-Mycoplasmosis-Information
It has a lot of helpful info in it.

I hope she ends up okay. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts