Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rats have just developed an annoying habit of trying to get into my nose and ears. It's cute but their lil nails grab onto my lip and they shove their heads in my nose which is not pleasant and the ear thing is just as annoying. What's the deal?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I have one smarta$$ comment I could make but I will reserve doing so since I don't know your sense of humor.

But all kidding aside... my ratties are nuts about ears. I have heavy gaged stainless steel hoops in my ears & I think they believe they are their own personal gym.

As for the face... solid habit formed decades ago... i don't let any pets near my face. Accidents happen & I don't particularly care to get stuck wearing an eye patch for life or end up with facial piercings I didn't consent to.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha... smarta$$ comments are always welcome ;)

They sneak attack... i'll let them on my shoulder and as they come around the front they get me when I dont expect it.

What's the best correction for unwanted behavior? I know how to train a dog but I'm new at this rat thing.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I just tell them 'no'. Pull them away when they start, hold them eye level and give them a firm 'no!'. Then I put them down somewhere they are allowed to be (aka sofa) and give them a quick pet. That way you're showing them facial-digging (lol) is bad, sitting down being a good little furkid is the way to go

It's always worked with my nose-miners :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts