Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an albino female rat from Petco in October of 2005. Until recently, I had her on Kaytee Supreme Daily Blend Rat & Mouse Food (Mostly grains and such...). In April of 2006 I got her a cagemate but she was only around for a few months, I had to rehome her because of behaviroal issues. I recently purchased two more younger rats, and put them all in a big cage together(after quarentine, of course). they all get along great, considering that my older rat doesn't act a day over a year old. I recently switched them all over to lab blocks, and I don't know if that's why, but I noticed that Bridget, the oldest Rat, has been having very large, runny, smelly poos. Has anyone else experienced this with a food change, or have any idea what else could have caused it?

I have since switched her back to the grain food, and separated the two younger ones from her, just while i figure out what's going on.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Did you gradually switch them over to the new food? What blocks did you try switching her over to?

Bread, banana, pumpkin, and oatmeal help rats with mushy/runny poops.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
for a while i was filling the bowl half of each type of food, and then once i ran out of the other stuff, i switched to only the blocks. The blocks are Kaytee Forti-Diet Mouse & Rat Food.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
The Kaytee Forti-diet is no better than the other Kaytee food you had them on. :?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i had no idea that kaytee was so bad :(.

now i feel like a hypocrite. i work at petco and i'm always warning people against iams & eukanuba dog foods, while i have my rats on the worst food out there. :(:(

before i go out and buy the stuff... is this the right stuff i should be looking for? i'll be making a special trip 40 mins to petsmart tomorrow morning, since we don't sell the brand.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754059&cp=2767038.2769315&fbx=0&fbn=Pet+Type+1|Rat&f=PAD/Pet+Type+1/Rat&fbc=1&parentPage=family&keepsr=1

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
yup that is ok food though you may want to look into harlan teklad 2014 since htat is the best there is. and good for you warning about those dog foods!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you :)

well due to unforseen circumstances (being called into work at 7am) i was unable to make the trip to Petsmart.
I move to college on sunday, and my 16 year old sister, who is desperately in love with them, will be taking care of my girls while i'm gone.

So i hear the Nutro food is safe? What exactly do I have to mix into it to make it better for the rats though?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts